Buzz is loosing his fur!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bon

Reaction score

100_1422.jpg

A few months ago they were treated for (mites?) from a bad batch of straw, everythings seemed fine, disinfected hutches ect, threw out bad straw ectectand we switched supplier for the straw.

Now a few weeks ago spade lost a huge part of her fur, it just fell out much like Buzz's is, and now its started to grow back.

The skin is warm to the touch, and ive given him a very close inspection (much to his disgust of being held in one place for more than 5 seconds) but nothing else seems to be there.

Any ideas?

- Description (Breed, color., weight)
Continental giant, white, (heavy)

- spayed/neutered?
yes

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?
yes
- When did they last use their litterbox?
today
- Any unusual behavior?
nope

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?
Treated for mites several months ago

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?
Balanced varied diet
- when and what did s/he eat last?
Right now

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?
Normal movements

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach?
He is free to roam the garden in the day.

- has the rabbit been outdoors?
Yes, lives outdoors except for being caged at night

I don't personally have experience with mites, so I can't tell you if that looks like a mite infestation or not. I do know that mites can only be seen under a microscope.

What did you use to treat the mites last time he had them?

Is he shedding right now? There is a possibility that if he is going through a heavy shed, that this is just due to the shedding.

--Dawn

It looks a lot like shedding to me. If I over-brush Muffin, she gets bald spots like this. I'd expect to see white flaky skin if there were mites there--that skin looks nice and healthy! If the fur doesn't grow back in a week or so, or some other marks show up on it, we should reassess.

Latest posts

Back