Buying Wood Stove Pellets online

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexy

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about Wood Stove Pellets for litter and wanted to buy some online. I never see it sold on most rabbit sites, I usually see stuff like care fresh and ecostraw instead.

What brands are rabbit safe and recommended? Are there any that are sold year round rather than stocking up during winter? Whats a good place to buy them online?

Wood stove pellets are seasonal. Most people don't need to use a wood stove in the summer. Horse stall bedding (also wood pellets) are avaliable year round at farm and feed stores.
Most brands should be safe as long as they don't have added chemicals to help the burn. Most are also kiln dried, which makes them safe for rabbit by getting rid of the oils.

I doubt that you would be able to find them for sale online. They are usually sold in 35-40 pound bags and most companies won't ship them. You won't see them on a rabbit supply site, as they are not made for rabbits.

Your best bet would be to go to a hardware store and see if they have them. If you have a farm or feed store near you, you could also check there for the horse stall bedding. There are also wood pellet cat litters you could use which could be found at some pet stores.

If you buyit on-line the shipping cost will make it way too expensive..it will be 4-5 times the price of the litter .

Do you live near any tractor supply stores or farm/fleet?

I use horse bedding which is pelleted pine (kiln dried) bitI also live in a smaller city surrounded by country and we do have farm type stores.
Lots of people use wood stove pellets soI would think that you could get woodstove pellets at many places.
like places that sell fireplaces

you need to be absolutely sure, however that there is not fuel contained in the wood stove pellets.
I hope someone who actually uses them can help you

I am actually very happy with the horse bedding although it is very heavy; it is very absorbent and keeps odor down to 0

Some pet shops are selling wood pellets in their litter section. However a 40 lb bag would cost over $10.00 while a wood stove pellet bag in a hardware is only $5.49.

It would be expensive to ship because it is bulky and heavy.

WHOA!!! I see what you mean.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UQJG3O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
$6.29 + $234.59 shipping

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CELYGW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
$5.99 + $427.18 shipping

Ouch. In that case anyone know of any places near LA that sell them year round?

I've been a little confused with wood stove pellets cause I heard there are wood pellets too and wasn't sure if they were different products or the same. I think wood stove pellets only come in pine? And wood pellets are in aspen and I dunno what else. I know wood stove pellets tend to be made for a different purpose, but are they the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Do they sell horse stall pellets in your area? As far as I can tell, they're exactly the same thing (ditto Feline Pine or similar wood pellet cat litters), just marketed for different applications.Wood stove pellets and stall pellets, however are much cheaper than the litter pellets. I'd contact a local tack and feedor two and see what they've got.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Do you have any Home Depot or Lowes stores in your area? They sell them by the 40LB bag for around $6.00.
Pellets made for pellet stoves are usually made of hard woods like Oak, Maple, Hickory and Ash to name a few. The cheaper pellet stove pellets are made of soft woods like Pine and Fur.

Latest posts

Back