Buying Hay from Feed and Seed store.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moochyesh

Reaction score
The local feed and seed store is selling coastal bermuda hay for 7 dollars per large bale.

I know they also sell timothy mixed with alfalfa however its more alfalfa than timothy so i passed on that.

Anybody have the ins-n-outs of buying hay from a feed and seed shop and not a petstore?

Thanks =]

Better to buy hay locally, from a farmer, horse barn or feed store. :) Just check to make sure it smells good and is dry on the inside (stick your hand in to check).

Pet store prices are outrageous...not a good place to get something that rabbits need (and waste) so much of!

I do NOT buy hay from petstores. I once calculated out buy hay from petco vs buying hay at the feedstore. For the same amount of hay that I get at the feed store for $30 (bale that weighs 100lbs (now found out that it actually weighs 150lbs) I would spend over $1,000 at petco to get a lesser quality hay (petco has crapy hay). This was calculated over 6 years ago so # have changed except the feed store price and weight. I always get timothy hay.

If you have a place to store it, get hay from the feed store. Definitely cheaper! We get a 50lb bale for about $8 and keep it in a patio type bin.

I would recommend connecting with horse people or a farmer who supplies hay to horse people. I am a horse owner and a couple of times, in a pinch, I have purchased hay from my feed store...I was just not happy with it...it was dusty and the quality was just not as good as my hay farmer's hay!

Latest posts

Back