Buying Feedbarn Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchellfoster

Reaction score
I just found a local feed barn that sells hay by the bale for $7. He described it as "mainly grass with a little bit of alfalfa." Is this a good Timothy alternative?

I'd be interested to hear how it goes, too. My rabbits likeorchard grass, timothy and alfalfa. A bale of timothy around here is $29, which is expensive considering I can get a bale of coastal hay for $8.

It is an excellent alternative, we get our bales from a great barn for $10 each.

Just make sure there is no mold and that it isn't too dusty.

So far, Tobias loves it. Balthazar hasn't really shown any interest in it, yet. It smells great and both my girlfriend and step-dad (both have raised horses and have dealt with hay a great deal) said that it is good quality. I can't pin-point what the types of hay are that are in the bale, though. I see orchard and what I believe to be timothy, and I know there's alfalfa in it because of the smell.

I guess my next question is this: even though they are approaching a year-old now, is it okay to feed them a mix of timothy, orchard, and alfalfa after they are a year old? I've read that alfalfa is high in fat and isn't really recommended for rabbits over a year old...or is that just nonsense?

Feed Timothy as the main source of hay. Bunnies love variety too, so Timothy, Oat, and Orchard would be good. Alfalfa can be given as a treat only because of the fat content. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back