Butting Teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at a chinchilla colored Netherland Dwarf doe that is approximately 6 1/2 weeks old. I contacted the selling and she informed me that the rabbit has butting teeth. Further conversation revealed her belief that the teeth would move into proper position with daily encouragement consisting of gentle pushing. She seemed almost certain of this.

After doing some research of my own into malocclusion I seem to be leaning towards the belief that butting teeth is a little more serious than she made it sound, mainly being the concern of wolf teeth and the fact that it is genetic (Although I don't plan on breeding). I would definitely like to avoid buying a rabbit that will need regular vet visits.

Although I have had rabbits in the past I'll admit I am not very knowledgeable with rabbits, so I was wondering what a few experienced rabbit owners had to say about this situation.

Thanks,
-Nick

Here's the link, not that it gives much information or usable pictures...
Craigslist-Netherland Dwarf

BlackAndChrome wrote:
Further conversation revealed her belief that the teeth would move into proper position with daily encouragement consisting of gentle pushing. She seemed almost certain of this.

If that were possible, I wouldn't have wasted thousands of dollars on braces for my kids.

Message and gentle pushing will not correct the condition. Further development of the head might change the alignment of the teeth, or the condition may development into a far more serious condition.

I would recommend that you notbuy this rabbit. (In my state of PA, it is illegal to sell bunnies at such a young age.)

Pam

I took a look at the link you posted. Shame on that breeder :(The rabbit has a disqualification that renders in NOT showable, yet it is advertised as "show quality".

Pam

Sometimes when the babies are really young their skull shape can adjust and change as they grow and so the teeth can line up, but the breeder should be able to see by earlier than this age.

I think she is trying to pull a fast one.

This is NOT an ideal pet for a new owner, but could be a good pet for a more experienced owner, particularly someone with an excellent rabbit savvy vet nearby.

Malocclusion is a life long condition. A lot of vets now are extracting teeth which can obviously prevent the teeth overgrowing, but the operation itself can be hard and the recovery can be hard too.

Agreed. If you don't want a rabbit that needs regular vet visits, you should avoid this one. Also, if she is selling the rabbit, she should be properly informing the new owner of all facts.. if the teeth don't go into place (which they likely won't at this age), she should be telling you what to expect.

Also.. this rabbit should be ADOPTED out for little to no money considering it is a pet quality rabbit with a medical issue. I hope she's not trying to sell it for the same price as the others. I got my dutch rabbit at 6wks for $20 because her color pattern is a little off. I question whether 6 weeks is too young, but at least this breeder had the sense to separate rabbits who weren't show/breeding quality (but otherwise healthy) and find them pet only homes.

Alright, thanks for the help. I will inform her that I am no longer interested in the rabbit. Probably wasn't worth the hour drive anyway.

-Nick

where are you located? if in the kansas city area there are these rabbits for adoption
http://www.mohrs.org/hrswebpg2.html
thier fixed already and they will help you find the rabbit for you that fits you best

smudge and poppi are a sweet small breed pair.
they also have a couple more rabbits not listed on there, a super cute holland lop, named Montana.

I also recommend looking into rescues in your area. There are many rabbits in need of homes, and rescues can often match you up with a wonderful rabbit.

Latest posts

Back