Buns and their hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8ozcup

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So, recently (and probably because of all the late rain we had this year) I've developed an asthma-like allergy to Timothy Hay. This is a problem because it's what my buns eat. My question here is two fold:

1) Has this ever happened to anyone and if so, has it gone away with new seasons?

2) What's a good alternative hay that my buns can have while I recover?

Thank you guys so much!

Hello!
I've found that I have a sneezing fit every time I fool with Timothy hay. I have it in their litterbox so the last time I dumped it I felt like I couldn't breathe. I feed 3 types of hay: Timothy, oat, and orchard. I don't seem to get the same reaction from any other hay but timothy. I'm still feeding it, I'm just using a dust mask and gloves now. Maybe try another type of hay? Good luck! :D

Have a family member or friend take the hay outside. Lay a sheet or large bag down and get them to shake the hay out ontop of that bag/blanket so its snowing hay (you should be far away or wearing a mask here) this will help rid the hay of extra dust and small bits.
Store the hay in a large bin with lid so it can be shaken prior to opening so the small bits always fall to the bottom.
Store bought hay tends to have smaller dustier peices.
Ive heard alot of people can get away with orchard grass.
Longer strand / grassyer hay like orchard tends to be better as its less dusty, when you pick apart the orchard grass i got from a farm theres 0 dust, the strands are all around 1-2 feet long.

TONS of people on this forum have allergies to their rabbits and hay and make it work no problem, even while still feeding timothy. Hopefully more will chime in here.

Yeah, everyone's given good advice.

Orchard Grass hay doesn't bother my allergies as much, but it still aggravates it at least a little bit. Aside from that I allergy pill up whenever I clean out The Tobes' cage.

Good luck! Some view it as a pain, I just view it as a necessary step.

mine have meadow hay as i cant handle the tomothy hay although i do get it as a treat but mix in a small bag with meadow hay and it seems to do the trick for me.

Latest posts

Back