Bunny's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9resqer

Reaction score
Hello

Just joined the forum and figured I’d introduce Bunny and explain how we ended up here. This is probably going to be long, so please bear with me. And I apologize for the somewhat disturbing story about the little guy.

I’m currently volunteering for a small animal shelter in rural Indiana. Guy called about a “wild” rabbit that he caught some kids trying to kill. According to the kids, bunny had a broken leg so they decided to do away with him by trying to break his back. Guy stepped in and took bunny away from them. He kept bunny overnight and then call the shelter on Monday.

For a “wild” rabbit, Bunny is incredibly tame and doesn’t mind being handled at all. S/he is agouti in color (pictures in the breed forum) and seems to have a fading white star on his forehead - which lead us to believe he’s wild. I joined a forum for people with disabled rabbits and the opinion seems to be split on whether he’s wild or domestic.

Had a biologist vote for domestic based on the pictures, so now I’m wondering what breed/mix he may be. If he does seem to be wild, I will probably see about getting him to a wildlife rehabilitator. But if he’s domestic, then there’s no reason to send him off to the rehabber.

As for his health, Bunny has a swollen back foot and seems to have limited use of his back end at the moment. He doesn’t react or seem to have a problem with having his back end handled; but he doesn’t move his legs if they’re manipulated in any way. He did move the non-swollen foot a little after some tickling; same for his tail.

He does seem to be able to get around some, although I’ve yet to see him actually move. When I brought him home yesterday, he just lay where I put him. This morning he was sitting upright, although his back legs were more out in front of him rather than under him. And he had moved a few feet from where I had last seen him. His rescuer reported that Bunny spent the evening behind the couch but when he looked up at one point during the evening Bunny was in the kitchen investigating the cat’s food.

For the time being, bunny is in a plastic airline style dog crate in my spare bedroom - safe from the resident animals. I put down a towel in the crate, then a foam pad, then some Care Fresh bedding. I bought regular rabbit food, alfalfa cubes and some Kale to feed him. Also a small gourd that I thought he might like to nibble on or play with. His appetite is pretty good for an injured rabbit. He’s not a fan of the commercial rabbit food, but loves the greens, etc.

He’s not seen a vet yet; I’m hoping to do that soon but I admit I’m currently unemployed so I’m hoping my vet will work on a payment plan. Honestly, I really didn’t know if he was going to survive the night, but he’s definitely a fighter with a strong will to live. My regular vet is more of a dog/cat/farm animal vet, so I may need to find an exotic vet (who might be willing to work with someone unemployed). I also have a fantastic holistic vet who does chiropractic and acupuncture on one of my dogs. So I may bring Bunny along on the dog’s next visit.

I haven’t had a rabbit in over 30 years, and then it was for 4H, so I’m re-learning all about rabbits I’m so grateful for the internet! I think my current plan is if he’s domestic and continues to eat and thrive, I’ll put together a C&C cage for him. He’ll probably end up with most if not all of my spare bedroom as his domain; with a secured corner of the yard in the nice weather. And, of course, he’ll more than likely end up with a companion to keep him company once I’m gainfully employed.

I actually haven’t sexed “him” yet, so he hasn’t been named. With all the stress he’s experienced in the past 2 days, I’m trying to give him a little space to decompress and relax before messing with him any more than necessary. Not to mention if he is wild I’m sure he’s more stressed than a domestic would be.

And that’s how I, and “Bunny”, have ended up on this corner of the internet. Any suggestions for making him happy comfortable would be greatly appreciated!

Tina

thats horrible, the bunny does look wild to me, cant think of any breed he/she resembles?? And he/she might be in shock from pane and the whole ordeal so that's why he/she may be calm, shock seams to do that.
I hope others reply soon, id like to see what they have to say,

:helloand :welcome1to RabbitsOnline. I am glad you found the site. RO is a very active, friendly and helpful website devoted to rabbits and their slaves.

Poor bunny, if you look in the regional forum section, the midwest has a vet listing and their might be one near you. I am glad you have taken in the little guy or girl.

Here are some good links to areas of the site you might find interesting, the Library section, full of good reference info, Bunny Blog, where you can keep everyone up to date on your bunny and your life as a bunny slave and if you bunny would like to ask questions of other buns the Bunny Chat is the spot to be. The regional forum is a good way to find a rabbit savvy vet or to post places where you get some of your supplies for your bun etc. For the lighter side and to give you a chuckle or two stop by the go to the Let Your Hare Down section for anything but bunny's.

Here is link to the rules of the site, light reading Rabbits Online Forum Rules.

You don't have to say what city your in but if you could update your profile withthe areayour in, may be like southern Indiana etc, that would help others provide you with info that may help you and your bunny.

If you would like to post pictures in your post this link How to put photo's in your posts will help explain that.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. This is a wonderful site and I look forward to seeing pictures and reading some stories.

Dave

Hi Tina:)

Poor poor bunny:tears2:

From what you describe and certainly if bunny was being ill treated by children id say he may have some injuries. Is there any chance at all that a vet would give him an x ray for you? Swollen foot and limited use of his back end really doesnt sound too good and i would worry that the poor wee mite is in pain.

Rabbits are very good at hiding pain so you wont really know how he is feeling till you know what exactly is going on. Im not sure what the used pain relief is over there as im sure there is way more on offer than here in ireland but if any of the vets you do know has metacam i find this works very well. Also a heat pad under his bedding in the carrier would go a long way to help with pain/shock so might be worth a try.

Monitor him and make sure he is eating and going to the toilet ok and i really wish you all the very best of luck with this brave little bunny who so deserves to experience a happy life especially with the horrible start he had.

Keep us informed on his progress and well done for taking him in.

Liz.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions about this little guy. Unfortunately, Bunny didn't make it. He was injured on Sunday and came into the shelter on Monday. Monday and Tuesday he was eating well. He even got up and moved around some. I was really starting to feel optimistic about his recovery. Wednesday he wouldn't eat and by Wednesday evening he was gone.

I'm really bummed out, I was already making plans on upgrading him from temporary housing in a dog rate to a real cage (not to mention finding the right name for him). But it just wasn't meant to be. He's now buried under my bedroom window where he'll never be forgotten. And at least I know that in his final days he was warm, safe and had a full belly.

But thanks to this guy, I've been seriously bitten by the bunny bug. I had rabbits for 4H 30 years ago, but I've never had a house rabbit. I really think a Flemish Giant would fit in with my crew. I'm scoping out the local rabbit rescues and I've even been in touch with a FG breeder who will be attending a show near me in a few weeks.

I'll be lurking around the forum for a bit and will hopefully post more if/when I have a new addition to brag about. Thanks again everyone for all the help!

Oh i am so sorry about poor brave bunny :tears2::tears2:
At least he did know what it was liked to be loved and cared for before he had to go to his forever sleep :rainbow:

I hope you get another bun soon and know it will be a very happy bun to be living with you.

Sleep tight brave bunny xx :sickbunny:

Latest posts

Back