Bunny's nail is bleeding! (not clipped quick)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bindybunbun

Reaction score
I'm so sorry if there are posts on this. I'm sure there are but I didn't find a search function on this forum.

My rabbit is bleeding from her front paw nail! This started a couple days ago and I first noticed when it was already dried up and seemed to be healing but I didn't want to touch it in case it re-opened the wound. Well, it opened again so I went to check where it was coming from and her nail is like split down the middle. It's horrifying ;__; I had to give her a small bath because her dutch white fur was going red. Every step she took with her little paw left a bloody paw print and her face is like pink because she keeps licking it off. She's done the paw flinging thing (like when they're cleaning their paws) and it splattered the cage like a crime scene ;__;

I tried putting the septic powder on it and she just eats it off >_< I'm not sure what to do because my vet's on vacation and he's the only rabbit-savvy vet i know of in the NYC area.

It seems to have stopped bleeding again but what should i do if it starts up again and how long will it take to heal? Most importantly, WHAT could have caused her nail to split like that? My house is pretty bunny-proofed and we don't have sharp edges around the room they're able to explore in. I suppose she could have found something but I'm so worried. None of my other buns have had this happen before so I'm really traumatized. :(

I read elsewhere that this is relatively common and should dissipate on it's own but again, I'm worried because she tends to like to sit in her litter box, of all places...

And are there any pain meds I could give for her? Her poor little leg was shaking as I was applying the septic powder and I could tell she was putting on a brave face (no teeth chattering and no lowered lip in fear) but I know she must be in some pain :(

Help!

You can talk to the vet about getting Metacam if you really think she is in pain.
If she is not bleeding, I think you can just watch it, checking daily, for reopening. As long as it doesn't keep reopening, it should just grow out. You can also clean it or apply triple antibiotic ointment, but try to keep her from licking it. Eventually if it's split badly enough, it may just fall off. Or, if she's really in pain and it keeps reopening over and over and won't heal, then maybe the vet wouldn't want to remove it.

Latest posts

Back