Bunny's Getting Fat!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnysmom

Reaction score
Bunny was healthy sized when we got her/him. She/He is supposedly around 12-13 weeks. I am not sure if she/he is Himalayan or Californian...or maybe something else.

So, if she/he is Himalayan, she/he is getting FAT! She/He weighs about 5 pounds now. When she/he lays on her side she/he has a big pot belly sticking out! It's really cute,but I don't want her/him to be unhealthy.

I have read that young rabbits should have an endless supply of food. So, I have been feeding her/him about a cup - to- cup and a half of pellets a day, timothy hay, and a treat or two.She/He really adores all of her food! And she/he drinks her/his water like crazy.

Should I continue with feeding her/him this way and just assume that she/he is a larger breed because she/he is continuing to grow? Her/His body has gotten a little bigger also.Do you think she/he is just a growing baby and I should leave her/his diet alone?

** So sorry for the she/he stuff. I don't care anything about sexing Bunny, if you saw the looks I get when I try you would understand!**

I would continue free feeding her if she is that young. She may just be a larger breed than you were thinking and if having a growth spurt.

Can you get some pictures of her? We can probably judge based on her body shape if she is getting overweight.

A picture of her standing from the side, from head on and from over head and we could get a really good idea.

I'll try to findyou some pictures of overweight bunnies (without offending anyone...)

*snort* That was funny Honeypot!

I will get some pictures tonight. I will try to get them from every angle.

I wanted to show off her darker markings any way! ;)

Her nose markings are really starting to spread!

Is the pot belly firm or is it squishy?

Wildfire is over weight (she's been on a diet for about a year now), and my other two are a good weight.

When you feel Wildfire, she's soft and squishy all over, while Zeke feels all muscly and Baxter is all fur.

Here's a picture of all three:

You can see that Wildfire spreads out like a bunny puddle when laying down, while the others keep their shape.

What does your bunny feel like when you pet her or pick her up?

--Dawn

Ok I don't know who's rabbit this is, and I apologize if it's yours, I took it from Google, so I am not trying to single any bun out...

owen1.jpg

He's a little too round.

angel1.jpg

This is also from Google.

You can see how it's just not their shape. They're not a big rabbit body type wise, they're just overweight.

Oh those pictures are all so cute!

Bunny is no where near like that. :D

She is squishy in her belly, but pretty firm every where else. When she sits all tucked up she is a perfect little Bunny Ball. But, she is usually all splayed out!LOL!

I will get some pics up a little later on.

BTW, does anyone know of a good site with pics of how the markings get darker on Himalayan's and Californian's? I would be very interested in seeing examples of the transitions. Thanks!

As promised, here are the pictures!

"What are you looking at?"
b12.jpg

"Not more pictures!"
b11.jpg

"MY LEG!!!"
b10.jpg

Bunny's Butt...
b9.jpg

"MY CARROT!!!"
b8.jpg

"Still MY CARROT!!!"
b7.jpg

"Ahhhh cold tile"
b4.jpg

"This is...
b6.jpg

...soooo nice"
b5.jpg

"A break from Binkies"
b3.jpg

"Stop looking at my butt."
b2.jpg

"Bunny Ball"
b1.jpg

That looks like a normal bunny belly to me.:)

Another way to tell if they are a good weight is to feel their bones. You really shouldn't feel the back or hips much on a healthy rabbit, but you should be able to feel the ribs without pressing too hard. If you have to press through a lot of pudge to feel ribs, the rabbit is probably over weight. Some rabbits will feel more bony due to their body type, even if they are fat, so that's just a general idea.

I'm having a constant battle with Bangbangs weight too, she lost weight and was looking great, but now she looks like a whale again....
Bunnysmom... I dont think your bunny is overweight she/he looks wonderful!

nolegs.jpg

that is fat.........

Bunny looks perfect! Don't worry - just keep doing what you're doing, he(she?) is just still growing.

I struggle with Misty's weight too. I let her get too many pellets when I was free feeding Charlie and now we're trying to work it off. :)

________
Nadia

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I think the chubby bunnys are so cute!

Bunny is really getting sweet with us. I am loving the personality that she is revealing. I am so totally in love with her!

Latest posts

Back