Bunny's First Time Scaring Me To Death (Question)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sooo. I just caught my bun in the corner. Chomping on foam insulation. :( And now I'm scared to death it's going to hurt him or get stuck in him.
Has anyone else ever had this issue with a bunny? I notice a lot of people have asked about just straight up foam and packing peanuts, and mentioned that it's worked out fine for the most part, but I haven't seen anything about foam insulation. At least, that's what I think it's called. It's that foam junk that comes in a can and you spray it on cracks or whatnot to weatherproof? He chomped on probably around a square inch of it or less, and I'm assuming he ate it since it's not littered all over the floor or anywhere.
:sigh: I feel like such a bad mommy right now and I'm super terrified something awful will happen. Someone please reassure me!

do you have the container or know the name of the foam product so that you can look up the product info online?

for the most part, if a bunny eats something weird, you just have to cross your fingers that it passes... but without knowing more about the foam product, I'm a bit worried that there could be harmful chemicals or something in it - being able to see if there's any poison warnings on the container would help a lot.

make sure the he's eating lots of hay (you might cut back on pellets a good bit for a day or two to encourage hay eating), as the fiber helps things pass through the digestive system. keep a close eye on eating/pooping habits - if the rabbit starts doing less of either than usual, there could be a blockage and a vet trip is in order.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what type of foam it is, but when I googled "rabbit foam sealant" I did find one type that listed toxicity in rabbits and rats as >5000mg, whatever that may mean. Hopefully the teeny bit he munched on won't hurt him. Or maybe he didn't eat it at all, I'm not sure. There's nothing on the floor near it. Bah. I'll keep an eye on him for any odd behavior. Since he ate it he's been running around like a madman as usual, and he's chowing down on his hay as I type, so hopefully everything remains okay.

Latest posts

Back