bunny's first molt. Advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrmom26

Reaction score
hello all, i noticed loki has been grooming a lot more and when i gave him a cuddle today i noticed a puff of hair come off, we got him in april at 8 weeks which would make him about 5 months i think . i looked it up and saw that it is most likely his first molt , now i read to make sure he has plenty of greens and water he looks healthy, eyes , active and such, just losing hair.

can anyone else let me know what to expect?

will his coat change in appearance at all after he's done?

thanks ---Heather

While he is in molt, his coat will probably look shabby, uneven, and different colors in different places. It shouldn't change permanently, or at least my buns' didn't.

My biggest tip is to groom him at least once a day, or more if you can. Make sure he is eating and doesn't stop pooping. Everything should be fine. When Silver molted around this spring, there was a day when he had not very many poops. Just keep watch.

I found that if this happens, feeding a little bit of puréed pumpkin (plain, no pie filling) helps. My bun wouldn't take a syringe so I just put some on his paw and he licked it off. :)

Latest posts

Back