Bunny's buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharlaelizabeth

Reaction score
After a lot of back and forth between DH and I regarding size and ear preference, we've finally found our bunnies!

This is a link to their ad on petfinder, but I don't know how much longer it will be up. http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14824156 but just in case, I snagged the picture.
buns.jpg

They are currently being called Prometheus & Persephone, but since they are both girls at least one of them really needs a new name. ;) They will be getting fixed tomorrow or Thursday and will come home on Thursday or Friday. I AM SO EXCITED!! According to the shelter they are Rex or Rex mix, so I'm not really sure how much bigger they will get (they are about 4 months old right now). The one on the left is apparently quite the escape artist and they both love rearranging their temporary living quarters. The volunteer told me that between the two of them they are using the litter box 80-90% of the time. The one on the left was the first to approach me, climb in my lap and give my whole face snuffles. The gray one hung back a little more, but was also very friendly. She had to do a nibble check of my jacket, jeans & shoes. lol The one on the left did a little mini binkie while I was visiting. :inlove:

I'm off to double check that I have everything I need. xoxo

I am so excited for you!!! How did you ever find such a beautiful pair of bonded bunnies?!! I swear, if I had been in your area, I would have had my adoption application in for them well before you. At least I will know where to pick them up when I am ready... ;)

myheart

According to the paperwork, the guy who brought them in was the neighbor of the owners who could no longer afford to keep them (working two jobs just to pay bills, no time for the buns). It also says that he'd like to keep in contact with the new owners. (hmmm...) The staff said he's been in every day, sometimes just to visit the girls and sometimes to drop off supplies.

They were relinquished on the 7th, posted on petfinder on the 10th, I saw them after hours on the 11th, and was there before the doors opened on the 12th. lol The employees told me that they've always had a hard time adopting out pairs in the past and didn't expect these girls to go so quickly. HA! I think my favorite thing is that the gray one has a little curl to the fur on her rump. It's so incredibly sweet.

But the wait is on, now. I guess it's been a busy adoption week (yay!) so the girls are scheduled for Monday, but hopefully they can get moved up to today or tomorrow.

And since they are so much bigger than the Holland Lops I was looking at, I get to enlarge the NIC cage. :D

Isn't it amazing how fast things move when you know it's right and it's something you really want?!!! Keep us posted on how your new babies settle in... :D

myheart

They've settled in really well. Originally I was going to house them in my office/craft room, but so far I've moved everything out except my desk and file cabinet. I thought I would work my way up to having a bunny room, but no. lol We still haven't decided on names (we have a theme with our pet names). I think I'm going to head to Goodwill soon and pick up some small area rugs because one of them seems to slip on the floor in there.

We have names! DH and I have a theme with our pets- their names are all characters from the Marvel Universe. In that tradition, we have renamed the girls Storm (gray) and Jubilee (the other one). Now I just need to get some better pictures of them.

Oh my gosh, those are two BEAUTIFUL Bunnies.

I can hardly wait to watch them grow up.

Hurry with the pictures.:waiting:

Susan:)

Wow are they gorgeous!!! Congratulations on your pair!

They may go through some changes as they mature. Be prepared to house them separately (different rooms/divide the room/cages and let them out alternately) if they change their minds about being cuddle bunnies :)

Elf Mommy- being litter mates won't prevent that?

And speaking of my little angels... someone peed (twice) when I let them out of their cage into the room & was out of the room for 5 minutes getting more hay. Ugh. Note to self- only let them out when I'm completely prepared. :/

What's almost funny about it is that she peed exactly where their litter box will be when I switch the corner that the cage is in. I guess I better get on that, huh? I'm going to be enlarging their cage, so would a second litter box be in order?

We are heading to some sort of home improvement store tomorrow so that I can make a floor for the girls. I thought I had a lot more linoleum than I actually do, so I was only able to make a little protection in the corner where their litter box is... Hopefully I can find some textured sticky back lino squares at the store tomorrow. I'm stocking up on zip ties so I can give them a third floor sometime this week. Oh, and hopefully I'll remember to study for my cultural ecology exam tomorrow night. o_O

Oh how cute! I am so jealous of rex owners--that fur is amazing to feel! Hope you have lots of fun with your girls! I like the names too!

They really aren't as good with the litter box as the shelter led me to believe... Jubilee peed outside of the cage 3 times today, and they both poop everywhere... Sigh. But they both binky around and flop after some exercise time, so at least they are happy. I'm a little nervous about picking them up because I don't want them to get hurt, but I did with both of them today & I was able to stroke their noses until they were totally relaxed. I noticed that their nails seem really long, so I'm going to trim them tomorrow morning. I've never done it before so I'm a little nervous, but I've read loads of tips on RO, so I feel prepared.

Rex nails can look a bit longer because of their short fur, but it's always good to get them used to handling, and you used to how to do it! Bunnies often lose some of their litterbox habits in a new environment because they want to mark it as theirs. This will probably go away, plus once they're spayed (I'm guessing with an adoption fee of $5 and an age of 4 mo that they aren't already spayed) it will also improve. Baby bunnies are really hard to litter train--they either will use the box, or they'll just go everywhere. I'm so glad they're happy there! It's so wonderful to see bunnies binky and be so happy. :inlove:

They were spayed on the 15th. It's a county shelter & many of the vets volunteer their time to spay/neuter. (They also do low cost s/n for non-shelter animals). I was thinking part of the litter box issue could have been because I pretty much had to climb into their cage to get to it (it was originally in the back corner). I moved it to the front corner so hopefully I'm not invading their territory when I handle it now. I moved their food and water to the back, but they like when I touch those dishes. ;)

I tried to clip their nails earlier, but I think we were all a little too nervous. I did get a good look at them, though. I could see the quick in all the nails I looked at, which is a big relief to me. Some of them didn't seem too long, but I saw at least two that looked a little twisted. :? I'm going to try again later tonight.

I need to do something about the flooring in the rest of the room. I can tell they want to race but they don't have very good traction. They also chewed through the baby gate & escaped into the rest of the basement. Naughty bunnies. I zip tied some extra NIC panels to it so they can't escape again. They both like to stand up on their back feet and peer out the doorway. Neither of them really seem to like when I try to groom them, but I'm not taking it personally since we are so new to each other.

They both seem to like my husband better. lol But maybe it's because he doesn't go into their room as frequently as I do. But when he does, they both go running to cover him in sniffles.

I managed to misplace the nail clippers yesterday, so I didn't try last night. I did add an extra litter box into the corner that Jubilee had been peeing in. I also am trying to keep the hay in the litter boxes limited to 1/4 or so. That way their bottoms are all the way in the box when they nibble on the hay. It went well last night as there was much less poop outside of the box than there had been. I'm also thinking about getting grated litter boxes, but I'll get to that eventually. I have a bunch of pictures to post, but I have to get on the desktop to do that...

whah?
IMG_1803-1.jpg

Hoppy Bunny on the left, Storm on the right
IMG_1808-1.jpg

lounging, showing off her shaved tummy
IMG_1825-1.jpg

"Mama, don't take her picture. I'm right here and I need ATTENTION!"
IMG_1826-1.jpg

"Sister, whatchoo doin? You know Mama left the door open? Come play!"
IMG_1828-1.jpg

"Storm is sleepy now, Mama. You go now."
IMG_1843-1.jpg