Bunny with red spots... help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper81

Reaction score
Our dwarf bunny, Theo, has been getting red spots and balding on the top of his head. He is housed with another bunny, Lola who is a bit bigger, and we've had to lock them up while we've been at work during the day thanks to them being able to jump out. We can't tell if it's because she's biting him or if it's some type of infection.

She tends to groom him quite a bit, especially in the eyes, but we've read that this can be a normal habit. He doesn't seem to be in pain, as he's completely okay with us touching the area when we were examining it.

Does anyone know what this could be or experienced it themselves???

20150602_155714.jpg

20150602_155549.jpg

Very hard to tell from those photos.
Typically when rabbits over room its more like barbering with trimmed hair or more grooming like patterns.
I would be leaning more towards that being some type of skin issue like ringworm or mites.
I would be taking him to the vets.

Vet check just to make sure it isn't ringworm/mites. Had two that got ringworm and it was a red spot with some white, soapy looking white scale around the edges--need closeups to really tell anything though.

that looks like a bite mark to me.

I would suggest separate accommodations for both.

They've been living together for months now and never an issue (occassional humping) but they're both fixed. She grooms him quite a bit especially around the eyes, and we noticed last night she's really paying attention to the spots on his forehead now.

Also - we noticed that 2 of his front fingernails have fallen off and another one that is lose enough it could come off any day. Would this have to do with infection also?

sounds like that you need to get some lab work ( as in blood work ) done asap IMO

if you have thing(s) falling off its an indication that something is wrong

Latest posts

Back