Bunny was spayed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathryn303

Reaction score
Bunny was spayed today and everything went fine! The vet seemed very knowlageable about rabbits. Right now Bunny is just lounging around her cage. She hasn't eaten anything and I have offered her every yummy thing I could think of. She hasn't had a drink of water either. When should I start being worried about her not eating or drinking? The only bad thing about the spay was that a couple months ago they said the spay was going to be $85, but there is a new vet and it ended up being $150 for the spay. :? There goes my whole life savings. lol....Will I see a huge difference in Bunny's behavior, or just a little one? I'm not going to be housing her with another Bunny for probably her whole life, so my family thinks I'm crazy for getting her spayed. :D

That sounds REALLY cheap for a spay!

Did they give her anything for pain? How long ago was she out of surgery?

if they didnt give you anything for pain, then she might not be eating because she is in pain and i would contact the vet and tell them you are coming over to pick up pain meds for her. try offering her some of her favorites to entice her. I put a little smudge of pumpkin on Belle's veggies to get her to eat. I would definitely be worried if she hasnt eaten in 24 hours, at that point i would think it would be an emergency.

good luck, and keep us up to date on how she is doing.

Well now that she is spayed she defneitly wont get ovarian cancer :)

She will also be less destructive and just all around nicer.

Im also worried about the pain meds.

Yea I think once its been about 12 hours I would get scared. Ive pretty much never seen my rabbits not eat for about an hour :biggrin2:

No, they didn't give me pain meds and I don't think they would have much for rabbits. But, I don't think she needs them, because she seems to be doing fine now. When I made this topic, she had JUST gotten home and was still looking drowsy and kind of out of it. When I got home today, I saw that she ate some of the vegetables I gave her. I've been offering her all of her fav foods and she picks and chooses out of them what and how much of each thing she wants to eat. She has peed in her litterbox, but still no poops. I'll see how things go, and if she needs pain meds, I'll try and get them for her.

Poor bunny!

It's good that she's eaten something. :)

The worst could be yet to come, though. Once the pain meds they gave her at the clinic wear off, they can get quite miserable. :(

Try to tell her it's all for her own good! She has a way better chance at a long and happy life!

sas :bunnydance:

Glad she made out okay. She definitely needs pain meds. Definitely. I would phone the vet asap and get them. A spay is very invasive, she'll actually need pain meds for about 4 to 5 days.

Sometimes, the reason they won't eat isn't just because they're in pain. If the vet used acepromozine, sometimes that will make them nauseated for quite a while after the surgery. It's a good sedative/anesthesia, but it just occasionally does that. Mixed with the soreness of the surgery, sometimes they won't be up to eating. And just when you start to freak out about it, they start to eat again. They have this talent for doing that...

The only thing she will eat right now is basil and some celary. And she won't eat it out of her bowl. She just knocks the bowl over. I have to hand feed it to her and she will eat it happily that way. If she doesn't want something I'm offering her, she pushes my hand away with her nose. :grumpy: What a picky and spoiled Bunny. :D

Oh, and right now, she has her legs spread out behind her, so she must be pretty relaxed?

kathryn303 wrote:
I have to hand feed it to her and she will eat it happily that way. If she doesn't want something I'm offering her, she pushes my hand away with her nose. :grumpy:

That is what I'm doing with Bebe. I pour some flaxseed and sunflower seeds onto my hand and she would happily eat out of my hand.
When Ihold some pellets in my hand, she pushes it away. :p
At lease I am getting rewarded with some poops. :bunnydance:...

A good sign of pain to watch for would be her trying to hide. If you see her digging into a blanet and burrowing herself into it, or hiding in hay, that isa sign of pain. Along with your other obvious signs such as tooth grinding, etc.

Here is Wiggles in pain after her surgery:

002.jpg

She did that, not me. It looks cute, but it's pretty sad to know that they are hurting :(She might not eat as much for a few days. I think a bit of Nutrical might help be good to give while she recovers.

I'm glad it went well :)

She will now eat vegetables on her own, but still won't eat the pellets. She is moving around a bit more. I even got some poops from her last night, even though they were a bit deformed. She doesn't really seem to be in pain....just doesn't want me touching anywhere near her stomach.

Back