Bunny twitch, should I be concerned?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach_Blossom

Reaction score
I've adopted my Leo about a week and a half ago and he's around six weeks old. I noticed last night while he was staring off into space that he started twitching. Not like how he twitches his nose or whiskers but it was like a whole body twitch. He started doing it again today. Is it seizures? Should I call the vet? He plays around and has a healthy appetite but maybe something is wrong? :nerves1

What sort of body position was he in when he did that?

It could be a seizure, but I just ask in case it was something like a dream, because that can also look similar to a seizure.

Try not to panic though.

Your bunny is also too young to have been away from mum. Ideally they should still be with mum until 6-8 weeks, and if you've already had him for a while then he was taken away too early (not your fault, that's down to the breeder). I'm not sure if that could play a part, but maybe it could?

Possibly normal - the twitching sometimes precedes the consumption of cecal pellets. I'd watch for any other changes or abnormal behavior.

Pam

Thanks for your quick responses. It's hard not to panic lol, since he can't tell me if anything is wrong or of he's in pain I like to be extra perceptive of anything he does. He was doing his usual squat. He was laying on his usual perch on my tummy and his eyes were half open and his ears down and he was like quietly grinding his teeth and giving me the odd bunny kiss whenI would stop petting him. Then he started twitching. My partner and I are taking him to the vet next week to do a complete exam with blood work just to make sure everything is ok. Otherwise he seems fine he grooms himself a lot and eats a lot of pellets and hay. Sometimes he does this weird thing where he'll do a random leap in the air then run around from room to room at like lightning speeds. I was thinking I'd call the vet to see if maybe she could see me today jsut to be sure there's there nothing to worry about.

That 'weird thing' you talk about sounds like a Binky followed by a Bunny 500, and those are both signs that your little man is really happy :)

Pam's thought about the cecals is not something I had thought about, obviously, but that does make a lot of sense. Also, if he is eating at the time it can be a sign of excitement about what he is eating.

I'm not sure what to say about the twitching. However, the "random leap in the air" is called a binky! And it's a good thing... it's how an excited, happy bunny expresses its emotions! My male mini- rex will dart across the room at lightening speed, jump up onto the bed, back down, and then do a little kick and twist in the air. It just means they are happy =)

Okay, I looked up cecal pellets and he wasn't grooming his belly or anything he was just in a trance. Maybe I'm just being a worry wort. I'll mention it to the vet when I see her. Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.:)

Sometimes they can twitch when they are getting ready to eat them, not necessarily eating them at that specific point. It's always better to ask your vet if you are worried though. Is your vet rabbit savvy?

Yes, I got a list of off 3bunnies.org and that's how I found my vet. Well, he doesn't just do a butt twitch it's a whole body twitch. Also, it's like twitch pause twitch pause twitch, etc.

Hmm. It could just be him dreaming, but it's great that you are planning to get him in to the vet soon anyway. It's really important to have a good relationship with a bunny-savvy vet before you need to do a neuter or have an emergency or such. I would be curious as to what the vet thinks it is.

from what you describe, it sounds to me like he was dreaming, or falling asleep.
Hazel often does that, she'll half close her eyes, let her ears fall back relaxed, and either do the full "twitching and jerking" dream thing, sometimes making little noises with it. Just like a cat does.
To be honest, if I hadn't had cats when I was young and seen them dream like that, that twitching would have freaked me out, LOL.
Or she'll do the "nodding off" thing, her head drooping down a bit, then twitching and sitting up again.

But it's good that you're asking your vet about it, better safe than sorry :)

Latest posts

Back