Bunny Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny_lover

Reaction score
I'v heard somewhere that you can "train" yourbunny. Is this true? If it is, I'd like to read up on it. Training mystubbourn bunnies would be hard.. :p

It's just a small rectangular box, with a metalstrip that makes a 'click'. they're used as a reward. when firststarting out an animal, when they do the righ thing, you 'click'and give them a treat. after so long, the animal soon realizes that the'click' means reward or treat....

Ellie

bunny_lover wrote:
What kind of things do you train your bunnies to do? I havenever tried training them before, but I might try it :D
you can use treats to get your bun to stand up

1. let the bun sniff it's favorite treat

2. slowly raise the treat up, hopefully the bun will follow the treat

3. at the same time, say the verbal cue, like 'up' or 'stand'

4. repeat, repeat, repeat, don't wear your bun out. ALWAYS END ON AGOOD NOTE, if your bun just 'quits' doing the trick and you keeptelling him to do the trick over and over with your verbal cue, the cuebecomes just another word we 'aliens' say.

5. slowly quit raising up the treat, slowly, and eventually he'll have the trick learned!

Ellie

bunny_lover wrote:
oooh. Sounds cool. I'll have to find out where to buy one.
i got mine for free at the state fair dog show (which ginger and iplace fourth at!! in novice obedience, yay!) at a booth entitled ,"Click it, or Ticket." you can get them at a local pet shop, or orderfrom an online source.

Ellie

Awesome! I'll look into getting one of those clicker things. I'll also use treats :D Maybe my 2 boys can learn some new tricks..

Training your rabbit is a littlelike training a cat or dog. Rabbits have their own minds and aren'tafraid to use them lol. If a rabbit doesn't want to do something noamount of sweet talk or treats will get them to do it.

I don't know of any training books or sites right off the top of my head but I can look.

Yes, rabbits can be trained. It takes Tons of patience, Loveand an endless supply of treats. I like to use dandelions. I slice theleaves super thin and keep them in a baggie. When Apollo does as I askI give him some. He thinks he's getting a treat and I feel betterknowing it's good for him.

Apollo has learned:

His name, Come here please, Go to bed, Stop it,Get down and Behave.

I made the mistake of teaching Apollo how to stand up and beg.Big mistake-how do you say no to a begging bunny in your face lol

Tina

Latest posts

Back