Bunny toenail broken past the quick. stopped bleeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurnown

Reaction score
Hey all,
I noticed my bunny's toenail bent and bleeding a week ago. No idea how it got caught, totally our fault since we hadn't gotten to clip them and they got pretty long. I have four pictures from the 16th til now. When I first noticed it, the nail was just bent sideways, saw a bit of blood from behind. We snipped most of it off, but the last bit was difficult to clip off plus he struggled a lot during it. So, we left it be and powdered it with flour, though he ended up licking it all off >.>. The rest eventually fell off by its own, thankfully we don't have carpet flooring so it probably didn't painfully snag off. He has just been limping and sticking his foot out like in the third picture, trying not to put too much pressure on it. His behavior, eating, and pooping has been completely normal, should we be worried? He doesn't seem to be in extreme pain, he still goes crazy running to me for treats, but I'm sure it is painful. Last picture is basically just dried blood, there aint any signs of active bleeding, just him licking it all the time. Our bunny is about 8 years old.. we worry about taking him to the vet for any treatment with anaesthesia as he is quite old, thus the reason why we haven't taken him to the vet. Any advice, thoughts?

20171016_131014.jpg

20171022_005306.jpg

20171025_232708.jpg

20171025_233522.jpg

The quick inside the nail is pretty painful and tends to bleed a lot (I once accidentally cut a bit of it, because Aki is the kind of rabbit who will move her paw at the last second when you are cutting her nails - we've been doing it for over 8 years as well, but she still refuses to stay still ^^') but it's not something that would require surgery. I would desinfect it for a few days with a safe product - in France, we use biseptine, don't know what's the equivalent in the US to make sure it doesn't get infected. But as long as it looks good and that the rabbit is eating / pooping normally I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Latest posts

Back