Bunny thumping.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charade

Reaction score
Iwoke upearly this morning,on a work day mind you, to the sound of my guy thumping. It was weirdthough. I kind of thought it was meant to be like a rapid banging butit was more like....a war drum or something. About every 15 seconds hewould pull back one of his hind legs and really give'er.

He's never done it before. He had plently of food and water. He lookedok and there was really nothing else amiss in my room or anything Icould hear outside. It was sort of weird to be honest withyou.

What do you think made him thump?

I realize these kind of questions are sort of hard to answer because it could be one of a million things.

They sometimes do it at anything. Mine do itwhen they're scared, excited, worried anxious, annoyed and when they'refeeling ignored. Nothing to worry about it's just (in the wild) asignal to warn another rabbitabout something. Could beanything. He probably just wanted a pet! :)

Bing Bing Bing!!!

We had incredibly strong windsovernight in Toronto!

LOL! Pipp has still only thumped once in herlife -- and it was just one thump -- and I swear it shook thehouse! (And she's not much bigger than a beer can!)To this day, I still don't know what spooked her.

One of my foster bunnies started thumping, and it was the same as yours-- loud thumps 10 seconds or so apart. Still not sure whatcaused that, either.

sas:?and pipp :shock:

My rabbit hates the wind so much. Sometimes I'llbe sitting in the living room downstairs and all of the sudden I hear*Thump*.. *Thump*.. She's on a wood floor so it makes a huge racket!

Phoebe tends to thump quite a bit too at usthese days. Sometimes it seems to be for no other reasons butto thump at us. Though she denies that she thumps at us.

Me:
Do you thump your foot as us, Phoebe?

Phoebe:
I do thump my foot, sir.

Me:

Phoebe:
[Aside to Calabacita] Is the law of our side, if I say ay?

Calabacita:
No.

Phoebe:
No, sir, I do not thump my foot at you, sir, but I thump my foot, sir.

Most Rabbits will thump their foot, especiallywhen startled. In the wild, Cotton Tails and other wild Rabbits thumptheir feet to warn the herd.

I find Bun-Bun's thumps usefull. If Bun-Bun thrumps his foot,some thing has startled him or he is "warning." Since Rabbits have suchgood hearing, he could sense danger I couldn't.
One night, he thumped his foot, and his ears where strait up and eyesall big. I looked around to see for anything. Then I looked out thewindow, and I saw a teenager trying to break into my Sister'sroom.

Just Jack wrote:
Phoebe tends to thump quite a bit too at us thesedays. Sometimes it seems to be for no other reasons but tothump at us. Though she denies that she thumps at us.

Me:

Phoebe:
I do thump my foot, sir.

Me:

Phoebe:
[Aside to Calabacita] Is the law of our side, if I say ay?

Calabacita:
No.

Phoebe:
No, sir, I do not thump my foot at you, sir, but I thump my foot, sir.

:laugh: Shakespearean rabbits! They're very cultured for being so young!

Conker thumps if I burn the toast, or if hethinks he sees something or someone through the window in the frontdoor while he is keeping guard in the hallway

He also thumps if he's cross at going back in his cage, but his cross thump is lighter and less deliberate.

my bunny thumped once, and i think it was forattention. i just came home and was petting her, so she'srunning around all happy and nudging my hand...i looked away and shethumped and stared at me...i'm guessing she was demanding moreattention that way.

she makes a lot of noise in her hutch when she wants attention, becauseshe knows i'll come out. maybe it's the same thing with yourbunny?

I think Maisie thumped once when I wascrying...but I'm still not even sure if that's what I heard...sometimeswhen she's scratching with her hind leg it thumps on the floor, so itcould have been that, I suppose...though it sounded a bitdifferent. Lol...geez, could I sound more unsure??:D

Miffy does not really need a "good" reason tothump at me, it could be "Yay, I'm out!", "Oh, there's that CATagain", "Yes, I still like you even though you did not let meout the second you woke up!" or even "Now, where did I drop thatcecal?" This is a rabbit who is very vocal with the foot,thankfully she is very quiet at night (knocks on wood), I think itwould scare the bejeebers out of me to wake up tothumpthumpthump! (although maybe it is not as bad as the dogbarking from his supersonic hearing of a cat walking across the streetat 3 a.m.!:scared:)

my bunny makes a thump sound while he's runningaround. Its so weird, i can't even see what he's actually doing! he'lljust be hopping quite happily around the living room and in mid runhe'll make u thump sound like someone has flicked the carpet reallyloudly (for a small little bunny) its actually quite sweet... he onlystarted doing it at about 8 weeks, but now he does it all the time! espwhen he's chasing me!

SO CUTE!!!!!

:hearts

I hear they are meant to thump when they arefrightened. But mine does it when we're sitting down watching tv. Ithink she does it when she's running around and having a good time.Then she jumps around in the air so think it's just excitement.

Cookie never thumps except for this one time(with good reason). Misty and I were visiting my parent'shouse, and Cookie was stuck in his cage while Misty wasplaying.

She got into his room (where his cage and toys are) and she wascuddling his "friend" ... and by "friend" I mean his um... stuffed bear'love toy'. He was stuck in his cage and could not defend it,so he started thumping until we came into the room and took his bearaway from Misty.

cookiebear.jpg

Selfish Cookie.

Latest posts

Back