Bunny suppose to have straight up ears but now has one lopped ear?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JellyBean16

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and I am worried about my pet bunny, Casper. He is a purebred New Zealand and I am for sure he should not have a lopped ear. This is just recent that this happened and I never experienced it before. It has been hot outside, could that of caused that? Or maybe he injured it? Have any of you experienced this in you bunny? What could I do? His attitude has not changed at all.

Are you positive he is pure bred? Where did you get him from?
Maybe you could post a picture?
Take a look at the pinna (ear flap) on the inside and outside. Look for debris and see if you notice any or any scabs as one possibility could be ear mites.

Aside from a health problem causing it, it could be from the heat. You'll need to make sure your rabbit is staying hydrated and cool enough by using cool tiles for him to lay on, frozen water bottles that he can lay next to, a fan blowing nearby, you can also rub an ice cube on the outside of the ears to help cool him down, and provide fresh water throughout the day.

I wouldn't worry too much, do you have a picture of this lopped ear? Usually with my lionheads when they get hot(before our barn got A/C) they would have one ear that seemed like it was lopping it really wasn't. I think that it could be the hot weather that could be making your bun put his ear down:)

image.jpg
He is 15 pounds and 2 years. This is him today, his right ear is not suppose to be like that. Sorry for the upside down picture.

I have a flemmie. When I first brought him home after a few days he would have one ear up as it is supposed to be and the other was always down. I jumped to the conclusion that I had been sold a mixed rabbit. he's not. Just warm I guess. He is over a year old and he still let one hang a good bit of time and when he's warm and relaxing he will let both hang. I know he is warm because he also lays either right up against our vent to catch the AC or in front of my bedroom door. When the AC runs their is a strong draft there.

I was at a county fair last weekend and asked a breeder about one of her rabbits who had both an erect and loppy ear. She called it "summer ear" and attributed it to the heat; something I never knew!

I am thinking he just got too hot. I got him from a breeder who raises new zealands for meat. I am for sure he is not crossed with a lop. :)

But it also doesn't hurt to rule out health issues or if the rabbit is possibly a mix. Health issues being of a higher priority of coarse.

I don't think this rabbit has any health issues. It looks very healthy in the picture and the ears on longer eared rabbits in hot weather tend to drop (or lop) It is a normal thing to see when the hot weather comes around. :)

I don't think this rabbit has any health issues. It looks very healthy in the picture and the ears on longer eared rabbits in hot weather tend to drop (or lop) It is a normal thing to see when the hot weather comes around. :)

That's generally the intention of asking to see a picture as it helps to rule out health issues hence why it was asked by more then 1 member, to see a picture of the ear.

That's generally the intention of asking to see a picture as it helps to rule out health issues hence why it was asked by more then 1 member, to see a picture of the ear.

Thats why I asked for a picture, as well. The rabbit looks healthy and his ear looks like one of my rabbits ears when they get too hot. :)

Sometimes ear mites will cause ears to lop. I'd have a good look inside there for ear mite debris, or have a vet do it, just to be sure.

Latest posts

Back