Bunny Spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowballbun

Reaction score
AHHH! Everyone, I'm so nervous because Snowball is having her Spay done Friday. I am taking her in Thursday night to stay over night because I have to work Friday, and I am nervous about her staying over night too! Do you think she will be scared? Or the tech said that she would get used to being there when she's overnight and not be as stressed for the surgery. They want to keep her all day Friday to make sure she eats and I can come get her in the evening.

I am nervous about the surgery, but it is a rabbit savvy vet. I do hope the surgery helps with her bratty-ness when I try to pick her up out of her cage. (Grunting, hitting, and nipping.) How long will she have to rest for and how long till I can let her run in her pen?

I did get her pre-anesthesia blood work which came back fine, and she will be getting sub-q fluids for the surgery as well.

What do you think about all of this? Also, is there anything I need to know pre or post op care? Some reassurance would help as well :) Thanks!

I feel your pain 100% on feeling nervous about a spay! I'm actually so nervous about it that I've kinda put off scheduling the appointment with my vet. >.< Have you seen the vet a couple of times? You're really comfortable with him/her?

Hmm, they want to keep her overnight and into the next day? My vet thinks they heal quicker at home where they feel comfortable, so he said I would take Chloe home the day of her surgery. I could understand keeping her to make sure she eats though, spays are invasive and you want to be sure she's back to being herself before you bring her home. What kind of anasthesia will he use, do you know?

I've heard they need to be kept still for a week to two weeks, and no jumping, of course. (I'll be moving Chloe back into her old cage to keep her contained)

I just reread your entry. Your vet wanting her to get comfortable with being in the clinic is a good idea, I'd just be worried that she'd stress being away from home for so long.

I got Solara spayed as soon as possible. We took her to the humane society that we got her at, and got her spayed there cause they spay buns all the time. She did really well, but it was hard to get her to take her medicine (she loved how it tasted but she didnt like the fast-shooting syringe in her mouth XD).

They say getting them spayed helps with aggression, but Solara is more grumpy now that she has been spayed. She grunts at me when I come in her cage.. but she's getting better.. but yeah XD I hope your bun gets nicer! XD

I let Solara still have full run in her cage, but she hardly moved. Like three days later, she was pretty much her old self again.

Ask if you can take her home after the spay, instead of her staying the night. I took Solara home bout 3 hours after her spay.

I'd be worried about the bun being nervous and feeling like you abandoned her if you leave her there all day. I know Solara (she's such a grump XD) would feel that way.

That seems like a long time to keep the bun. I brought Shadow in around 8am, her surgery was at 11am, and she was ready to be picked up at 3pm. The vet told me to keep her contained for two weeks but, honestly, I think one week would have been fine. After a few days she was moving around like normal and trying her best to escape every chance she got. After a week I started letting her out in a small enclosed area so she wouldn't go stir crazy. As far as Snowball being a brat when removing her from her cage, maybe she'd be happier to come out on her own? I know Shadow doesn't like me picking her up to take her out (she grunts and boxes me), but she's happy to hop right out on her own if I leave the door open. Surgery is always a little scary, but I'm sure Snowball will be fine. Good luck!

I have had a lot of bunnies spayed and have only kept them confined in the pen for one day. I have had a few buns that didn't bounce back for 3-4 days, but they didn't want to be active anyway. I usually let the bun set her own recovery pace.

Make sure that you insist on pain meds. It makes a big difference. If the bun isn't eating within 24 hours, you will probably need to syringe Critical Care. You can get this from your vet. Again, if the bun isn't eating within 24 hours, call your vet. They will probably want to see them to check for infection or other problems. Usually, a follow-up is free.

I'm not sure if my post wasn't totally clear about the night thing...She is spending the night Thursday night, then having the surgery Friday morning...then I can pick her up later in the day on Friday, the same day. I am worried by being over night she will be scared, but I was planning on bringing her towel with her and some food.

The earliest I could take her in on Friday is at 830 and I have to be at work by then..She is about 7 months old now, and I waited to do her spay both because she had been sick with syphilis, and also I was trying to wait until I had a break from school.I have been really nervous too! My last day of school is on Friday for teaching, so that way I will be out for the summer and be able to keep my eye on her after her surgery.

Do you think maybe I should see if I can arrange with my work coming in late instead of dropping her off the night before? They said on Friday they would do the surgery probably about 10 a.m.

I believe they will be doing the gas anesthesia and the vet also will be giving pain meds...I am not sure what kind yet. I hope she does not fight me with the meds!

Yes, I am comfortable with the vet because this was my 2nd opinion vet, and they are the ones that finally diagnosed her with syphilis when the other one couldn't figure it out. They seem very knowledgeable. My vet said I could request him for the surgery if I wanted to, but I think all of them are rabbit savvy. I believe a couple of them are on our vet's list on the website.

Yea with her temperament, she really is the sweetest bunny but just mean usually when I take her out. You are probably right that she would be better coming out on her own. She loves being around people and gets excited and loves attention. So maybe the grunting won't go away, we'll hafta see.

Thanks for the responses guys.

If you could arrange to go into work a little late, that would be best for your bun. Your vet will give her a pain med injection that is supposed to last 24 hours, but I have been known to give mine a little booster dose before bed in the evening. Ask your vet for at least 3 days worth of liquid metacam to take home. Bunnies usually like the metacam as it is honey flavored. Once they get a little taste, they usually lap it right up.

slavetoabunny wrote:
If you could arrange to go into work a little late, that would be best for your bun. Your vet will give her a pain med injection that is supposed to last 24 hours, but I have been known to give mine a little booster dose before bed in the evening. Ask your vet for at least 3 days worth of liquid metacam to take home. Bunnies usually like the metacam as it is honey flavored. Once they get a little taste, they usually lap it right up.
I wondered what it tasted like because Shadow licked it right up without a problem.

Latest posts

Back