Bunny Sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyluv96

Reaction score
Hello there, I have a 12 week old holland lop boy named Sunny. I noticed that last night he started sneezing? It's not too bad, just one or two occassional sneezes,but I noticed he's doing it again tonight. He sneezed a couple times then cleaned his face. Should I be concerned, could he be coming down with something? Or is it nothing? I just haven't noticed him ever sneezing before. I feel a bit neurotic, but I feel better asking than not asking. His appetite is good, so is his thirst, and he is playful and his usual self, no changes in behavior. Also no nasal discharge. He gets occasional white crusties in the corner of his eyes, but I contacted the breeder and she said the eye crusties are normal and to just wipe them away. I guess they are like what happens to us humans when we wake up that 'sleep' in our eyes.Thought I'd mention it anyways. Should I maybe keep an eye onhis sneezesjust in case? Is there a rule like if it doesn't go away after a week to find a bunny vet? I worry about finding a bunny vet too because I have had some less than good experiences in the past with my cats and vets, and dont' want some yahoo who doesn't know anything about bunnies messing with Sunny. I would only want a competent professional to look at him, if it came to that. I have a stomach ache just thinking that my precious little baby could be sick somehow. :cry1:Thanks for any/all help and advice.

Angie&Sunny

If he sneezes a couple of times every few days I wouldn't worry. Are there any changes in his environment? A different kind of hay? Allergies are so rare in rabbits as to be unclear as to whether or not they actually exist. It's best to see if there have been changes in the environment that could account for respiratory issues, then look into upper respiratory infection, and then look into tooth issues.

He could be getting his own hair or hay in his nose, that could be a cause. Shedding season is beginning, ugh, hha. Snuff has some serious sneezing spells sometimes, they are scary. There's never "discharge" though. That's what you should watch for, even clear could be an issue.;)

You could keep him brushed and if it's a nice day out, definitely go outside to do it. We have a lovely picnic table to put the bun on, where he can roam and I can get what I need done, I also clip nails there in summer/fall, it's awesome.:D

Thanks for the replies! He doesn't have runny eyes or nose, just the sneezes. He's still doing it, only been doing it for the last week or so. I will definately keep an eye on him for any other symptoms though b/c I'm a neurotic bunny mommy lol. I was a bit curious if it could be his new litter too. Normally I use CareFresh, but this time I got unscented Aspen litter b/c it was cheaper :p So I wonder if that could be the sneezing too. I am going to swap it out again when this litter is used up and see if that helps too. Thanks again for all the help!

Not sure but I think it could be the litter? Snuff started doing it alot more after we switched as well. Not very often lately, thank goodness.

I think sometimes it depends on the shedding and them getting hair in their nose, really.;) So, what you're saying is a good thing so far, yay.

Latest posts

Back