Bunny snacks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj82

Reaction score
My bunny gets pet shop treats that are like seeds in a bar shape coated in something that sticks it all together. They have a hook poking out one end which I can use to hang the treat to the cage. He also has alfalfa cubes but his favorite's are trimmed green beans. What do your buns like best?

1389036142555.jpg

I have read a lot of warnings about store-bought treats for rabbits being unhealthy for them so the only treat I give mine are unsweetened dried papaya chunks. I give them a couple slices of carrot every other day and alternate with a small Brussels sprout or half a large one (which is technically healthy, but can give rabbits gas so I only give the small amount every other day). They act like those Brussels sprouts are candy, which is strange to me because I think they are disgusting! :yuck

I love Brussels sprouts!! I will get some and try him with them! Thank u! I think you're right about store treats. Papya sounds gorgeous to me! I should be a rabbit! X

Seeds are not good for rabbits. You do want to be careful with any items with sugar in it including fruit since too much sugar can cause GI issues.

My bun loves clover.

My bunny girls' favorite treats are pomegranate infused Craisins (going to try Nala & Gaz's newest cherry infused Craisins soon) & dried papaya without preservatives. I give them each two small pieces as a special treat because I know they would pig out on those sugary treats. They also love fresh apple & banana bites. Also, only in very small amounts. Banana only one bit each from my finger. And they say banana is finger licking good! lol

My Linus likes carrots and he's obsessed with the tops of strawberries, which is extremely convenient when we eat strawberries.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1389052938.380705.jpg

I have read this kind of treats aren't very good for them and makes them fat. I haven't started giving my little Lady vegetables yet, but I think a carrot, or a slice of apple for example would make for healthier treats :)

How do you bake your own? Sounds good x

It's 1c pellets
1 banana
2carrots (6 baby carrots)
1/3 c water

Cut up carrots and bananas
Grind the pellets to a fine powder using a blender or food processor
Then put them in a medium size bowl
Blend the banana and carrots together
Mix pellets water and carrots and bananas together
Ball and flatten in cookie sheet
Bake on 325 for 20-30 mins depending on how done you want them!:)

I would agree with the raisins. My Charlie LOVES them (in moderation, of course)!

I would also strongly advise against the treats with nuts, seeds, or any dairy/yogurt.

I bake treats for mine!:) they're yummy and healthy. They're made with carrots bananas an pellets. :)

I love making bunny cookies! :cooking: I sometimes use bits of Apple in them too or a few raisins and my bunny gave some to my friends hamster for Xmas who also loved them to bits.

Gandalf thinks his food pellets are amazing treats, as well as any type of vegetable or fruit except courgette which he threw at me! I occasionally give him pet store treats, usually only about one or two a week. Before I knew seed treats were bad for bunnies I bought a seed bar and he absolutely loves it so he gets a little nibble now and again, only a few seeds at a time a couple of times a week. I reckon bunny diets are similar to human diets - as long as the vast majority of their diet is filled with healthy food then the occasional naughty treat can be good. Giving Gandalf a few nibbles of his seed bar after cleaning his glands defiantly stopped him being in a strop for too long anyway :peace

I usually reserve fruits as treats. For example, if I am eating a banana I share it with my 4 bunnies. Any fruit I eat, I will give them a few bites. It makes my bunnies happy when I sit on the floor and eat the treats with them. It's like our special "mommy & me" time.

Latest posts

Back