Bunny sitting..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357bunnylover

Reaction score
I'm bunny sitting this gorgeous 5-6 month old black otter mini lop called Charlie until next Sunday. His owner is a family friend and I told her all about bunnies but she feeds him on muesli mix and apples everyday and he has so many loose stools and they smell really bad. Do you think it would be cheeky of me when to tell his owner that muesli isn't the best and that apples should only be a treat? Or would I seem rude?

Why don't you present the idea as a solution to the smelly poops. Just suggest she try a gradual change in diet & see if it helps. It will, so problem solved. When she comes for her rabbit after her vacation you could show her some of your rabbit's poop to let her see the difference.

I would definitely come up with a polite and tactful way to explain that there's room for improvement in her rabbit's diet, for his sake (and hers, since she's gotta clean the poop).

Why don't you present the idea as a solution to the smelly poops. Just suggest she try a gradual change in diet & see if it helps. It will, so problem solved. When she comes for her rabbit after her vacation you could show her some of your rabbit's poop to let her see the difference.

This is good advice ^

You may also want to mention a diet high in carbs and sugars can prove deadly to rabbits. Plus if she changes the diet, she won't have to deal with poopy bum problems anymore.

Yeah thanks, I will say politely. LakeCondo that's a good idea too I'll do that thanks. I'll also say about how fruit is a treat rather than a daily food. I just feel kinda bad giving him apples and carrots everyday, I wanna give him some herbs to try! But I'm not gonna, it might give him an upset tummy. I'll show her what I feed my bunnies too. Thanks for the help :)

it certainly won't hurt him to skip the apples and carrots some days... you could also give him an herb or veggie in a small amount (maybe 1/8c of packed leafy greens), that shouldn't upset his tummy.

Ok yeah I'll do that, he has a whole apple or 2 a day! So I'll give him a little cut off one a day as he's quite addicted!! But I'll let him try a bit of parsley and coriander :)

A whole apple or two? No wonder he has loose stools! That's a LOT of sugar for a bunny in one day! Personally I would say something about it, but that is just me.

Ok yeah I'll do that, he has a whole apple or 2 a day! So I'll give him a little cut off one a day as he's quite addicted!! But I'll let him try a bit of parsley and coriander :)

that's INSANE... you *have* to say something, or that bunny's gonna have diabetes in no time.

Back