Bunny seems like he is stress breathing but acting normal every other way?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
Our six year old mini lop was a rescue. He came to us with a crooked toe and as he got older, he had to be treated for arthritis due to his messed up walking. The toe is likely an injury sustained while he was with his previous owner according to our vet. Came home today to some blood, some of which appeared to have sprayed slightly on to the water bowl. He was licking the bad toe and won't let us get a good look but we got the bleeding to stop right away. We can't see it really well due to the amount of fur, but we think the nail is still partially attached, and could be painful in certain positions. He already gets metacam for the arthritis, so we hoped that would help him until we can get to our vet. He's acting normal in nearly every way, but occasionally I catch him laying to the side and he appears to be stress breathing. He is eating, pooping, peeing, and even trying to hump my hand. We have seen binkies and even a flop from him. Then I remembered out rabbit savvy vet is not in until Wednesday. Should we try to take him in tomorrow to see a less savvy vet or can this wait? He seems ok, but I'm thinking that the nail might just be partially attached. I can't get a good hold on him to look at it properly because when I try to move the fur, he freaks out. He is licking that foot and leg excessively too.

Just keep an eye on the gimpy toe. Especially if the nail is half ripped off, it wouldn't take much to full rip it off if he catches it on something. You can try and wet the foot down to keep the hair out of your way while you take a look at it.

Do you have the experience with rabbits to ascertain a stress breathing? I don't mean to degrade you, just asking if this is really a problem what you describe. Rabbits breading normally looks fast but this is part of their nature.
Can you take a video of this moment? If you do, you can also consult a vet about this without having to take the rabbit with you to the clinic.

Back