Bunny-Safe Christmas Trees

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbits

Reaction score
For our next issue of Rabbits Only atrabbits.com, we are preparing an article about decorating yourChristmas tree in a bunny-safe fashion. I know it's a bit early to bethinking about Christmas and decorating, but you may recall what youdid last year of what you promised yourself you would do next year. Iwould prefer if you sent me an email directly ([email protected]) soas not to spoil the surprise for the forum members!
In the meantime, Happy Halloween! And remember, if you take any coolpictures of your rabbits for any of the holidays, we would love to usethem. We are especially low on good year-end holiday pictures.

Greetings rabbits,

Ever since I've had my rabbits, I've been putting up boxwood trees.They're about 2 feet tall and look beautiful with one plug that'seasily hidden from The Beasts on my bookshelf.

I've been too nervous to put up a real tree because I don't want therabbits the chew the twigs in fear of them getting sick. Even if Ifound a wood-friendly tree for them, I'd still have to worry about thestring of lights.

I suppose I could do without the lights, but then again, I can have a boxwood and have it all. Lights: Decorations: Christmas!

-Carolyn

P.S.

For my favorite decorations that I can't hang on my boxwood, I hangthem with fishing wire from my ceiling because it's strong and youcan't see it. I put up white lights on my ceiling first for the effectof stars and they bring out the sparkle in the ornaments, and then hangmy ornaments from the ceiling.

It looks like it's raining ornaments/Christmas in my house.

It's great for me because I get to have my tree and enjoy my ornaments without worrying about my rabbits being safe.

:)

What amazing timing! We were just discussingtoday what I am going to do about my Christmas tree this year~firsttree with girls ;)

I just spent a good part of my morning, re-proofing certain area's thatjust were not quite bunnyproofed ENOUGH...nibble, nibble.

Last year Maggie ate the tree...and chewed up the wrapping paper..lol, she wasn't interested in the decorations at all.

I found out my presents a week before Christmas cuz of her :(

Well we solve that problem by the tree being in aseperate area from where they are allowed. But Shawn and Ilive in one room anyway, so we just dont hang up decorations in thisroom. But I am tempted to buy some of those busy bunnychewable ornaments, and string some popcorn garland around their cagethis year hehe

My gran has one she hangs on the wall so the dogcouldn't eat it... I definately will NOT be putting chocolatedecoration on our tree this year. Rolo ate a box of chocolatesyesterday and was sky high all day... I'm going to have to keep thingslike that higher than 4 feet off the ground.
As for the buns... I think they'll be staying upstairs so I'll just putsome tinsel on the top of their hutches and maybe some things on thewalls to brighten their Christmas up! :)

Delphinum,

I definitely wouldn't recommend using tinsel on their hutches. It can lead to problems if they ingest it.

As a matter of fact, I go through great effort not to allow my rabbitsto have access to tinsel. I don't even buy it anymore becauseI'm afraid of them getting into it.

-Carolyn

Just so everyone else knows, I don't meananywhere within their reach. The hutches are double deckersand I'll put it on the roof so they can't reach. It's all Ican do to stop them eating the rugs never mind having to chase afterthem with tinsel in their mouths!

Does anyone know if food colouring is poisonous to rabbits? Iwas thinking of painting bits of their hutches, but I don't want to usenormal paint coz they'll eat it. Little Christmas scenescould be fun on their hutches!

Vegetable-based food coloring should besafe. But be careful, that stuff stains!! You really don't want to getit all over your clothing or hands, it'll take a while to come out.

Chompers was good with the tree last year, onlygave it a curious look over and that was it. Abby and Valura this yearhowever.....

I look forward to the next issue!

this will be lylas first christmas and i plan onhave a real tree and going about it ,like any other year when shes outill just put a gate blocking that room off.i love my bun andi love christmas .

sara

Our bunny is right in the spot where the tree was last year.
Maybe we'll get a smaller tree this year.

We're using a 4 ft. fake tree that we put on atable. Mella will eat anything so at least having it on the table willbuy us some time to catch her before she reaches it. I like the idea ofcheerios and popcorn for the top of the cage.

How about stockings with little toys and treats? Am I the only crazy rabbit lady doing that?

No yer not the only crazy rabbit lady...

I already ordered the busy bunny basket for my bun's christmas present :D

I usually wrap them up loosely in brown bag paper, and then crinkle itto get the buns attention. Guin likes to unwrap her ownhehe.

Even my mom buys her grandbunnies something for christmas hehe

bunsforlife wrote:
Even my mom buys her grandbunnies something for christmas hehe

So does my mom! She does love her bunnies so.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back