Bunny Related Chores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
Hello!

I am very interested in everyone's time-saving bunny chore ideas. I'm about to start student teaching for the year (10th grade English!), and I know my life will soonbecome quite hectic. I thought this would be a great place tous to share our tips, tricks, and procedures that saveus time caring for our favorite bunnies!

I will begin with some of mine.Background info: I have 6 rabbits (5 of them are in my bedroom).

-I keep a trash container in my room full of hay (around 13 gallons, I believe). It usually lasts my bunnies a week. It has saved me a lot of time because before this I used to bring in hay from my garage using grocery bags almost every day.

-I make schedules. Every month I create a calendar using Microsoft Publisher (so easy!) so that I can make sure I remember to do everything bunny related. I mark when to clip nails and clean scent glands (I do this once a month), when to give Tigger his butt bath (once a week), and when to give medications (every day).

-On the previous note, I also keep a notebook with all of my rabbits' medical records. This saves me time when I have to go to the vet, etc. I always document when a bunny has gas or other medical issues as well as when I clip nails, their weights, ages, and so on.

I'm sure I'll think of more things to post, but I'd love to hear from all of you! :)

Thanks,

Kathy

I think you're organized enough for all of us! lol:D
We have 8 rabbits...6 in a "bunny playroom"aka the guest bedroom and 2 in our livingroom...

We keep our hay in BIG garbage bags and cut vent holes in them so they don't mould...we store 4 at a time...3 in the basement and 1 in the bunnyroom...we just have to make sure there is room for air to circulate around them! We buy our hay by the bale...it is beautiful hay and only costs $3! We used to spend a fortune...and the kids didn't ike the store hay very much...we wasted alot!

I built a grooming table that I keep stocked with towels and all the clippers etc...It has wheels and I can scoot from room to room. (sorry no pics yet!)

I keep a fully stocked first aid kit...it is hard to find after hours care for rabbits here...and it is really expensive! lol I keep sub-Q fliuds, ciscapride, Metacam, syringes, etc...we had a fur-baby of ours die on us because we weren't prepared and we couldn't find afterhours care...now I am always ready!

We do the same as you...we keep records for the vet. We schedule regular groomings and keep copious lists and notes!

We designed a new litterbox for our kids that makes litter WAY faster...it takes 10-15 minutes rather than hours like it used to...this was the biggie for us...I was frustrated before because with the regular litterbox I spent more time grooming hay out of our double coated bunnies, and changing litter constantly! The new litterboxes made it easier so I had more time to actually spend time playing with the bunnies! I prefer playing! :biggrin2:

100_1912.jpg

-Runestonez-

Actually...I used to bend them by hand...and use a hacksaw to cut out the hole for the bunn to get the hay...then you have to use a file to grind any rough edges...and touch it up with paint to keep it from rusting...
As they got more popular it got to be a really nasty job! lol
Then we needed 30 for the spring show this year...and I admitted defeat and took some 2x4's and made a bending jig...and used a Dremel to cut out the openings...I still had to file them by hand and touch them up...but it was much faster! lol

Really all you need is a sturdy worktable that has a movable top that you can tighten and release...you use your body weight to bend them...I make a bend every third row of squares...one at just short of 90degrees and the second bend depends on your litterbox and whether or not you have a grate in it like we do...the lower the grate the less of a bend...

If you are interested in one I have a few extras...I can just send you one!
Or I can email you the diagram!It's easier than trying to explain it!
They really are easy to make...but after reading what I just wrote...it doesn't sound like it!:biggrin2:

-Runestonez-

Wow i love the hay box, i have been bending and messing with allsorts and not managed to make anything like that.
I have 2 sets of trays and each morning fill with wood pellets and some hay and put them in place and take away the dirty ones to empty, i think i prob waste some pellets as they are not all dirty but it is quicker and what with the hay getting all clumped into the pellets it is difficult to segregate the dirty bits.
This was a good idea for a thread as i have been looking for peoples tips on this sort of thing. I always have trouble with the hay spreading its way around my living room, i really need to contain it like that.
karen

if you could pm me a diagram maybe my husband could make them;I am aklutz at doing anything like this and if I tried it I guaranteeI would mess it up ...

or could you post a diagram and instructions.

all when you have time ;

Your already so organized my only advice would be to do as much in the evening and on weekends that you can. If you typically feed veggies in the morning, get them ready the night before, or clean and refill water in the evening, etc. If I know I have a particularly hectic day ahead of me, I will make up a couple of veggie dishes ahead of time so I can just pop one in the cage at the right time.

Runestonez - Did you make the grate on that litter box or buy it that way? If you bought it like that, mind sharing where? I have a high back litter pan with a metal grate on the bottom and loove having the grate there. I need to find something bigger though, since I have 3 rabbits all using the same boxes.

I will start a new thread tonight and add my diagrams etc for the hay bin and floor grating!

It will be easier than trying to explain to to each person through PM! LOL

That way anyone can offer suggestions too!

-Runestonez-:D

FYI-the floor grating and the hay bin were made by us!

It is good for stopping bunnies from digging out their litter too! (THAT was a really FUN phase! not!):rollseyes

Ah sounds good, I'll look out for the post later :)

Can you buy grating like that somewhere? I've been looking for something like that for awhile now with no luck!

Thanks!

I really want to get into the routine of recording and planning stuff, I think that will be my new years resolution! Once I have the bunny shed it will be easier to store and organise things bunny related. I want to get a diary and record everyones weights monthly and write a note to make sure I remember to actually do it, I always forget! Also stuff like when to trim nails, though usually I just know when to do it because I handle them alot. I also want to plan out set times where each bunny gets individual attention. Everyone gets hugs and kisses and pets everyday, but I like to do sessions of individual attention and sometimes I forgot who got it last and miss out some bunnies.

My daily routine (unless I'm on a school break) is usually feed bunnies, pet and talk to each one as I'm feeding. Put one/some of the bunnies out in the run for playtime, spend time on one bunny. Give freshwater, pet and tell everyone good night and feed. Thankfully I don't have to give anyone any medications.

I give all the cages a complete clean once a week, every two days I sweep the floor and do spot cleans in the cages, I also check everyone over for anything unusual once a week.

I keep my bale of hay inside in a big bin, the little buggers usually climb up and nibble on it though.

Latest posts

Back