bunny problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethi7

Reaction score
Truffles bit up to 5 times this morning. I don't knowgotten in to him, but, we were camping in mississippi for a week so he might of forgotten who i was and taking me as a new person. It might even be hormones. I am filled with saddness.

Hmm. Could you answer these questions? Might make it a bit easier to comment on the situation :)

How old is Truffles?
How long have you had him?
Has he ever bitten before?
Is he a shy or a confident bunny?
Who was looking after him while you were away?

i had him for 2 months

He is 3 months.

he bit me last month because i petted his chest (witch he hates).

My Grandpa was taking care of him.

And he is shy around new people he hasn't ever seen.

Maybe he's stressed from having a "stranger" take care of him while you were away. Did he go to your Grandfather's house? If so, the move could have added additional stress.
What situations is he biting in? Is he lunging when you put your hand in the cage, is he biting when you hold/pet him?

Well, he didn't go to my grandpa house but he would come for about 15 mins. a day (grandpa). Truffles doesn't lung though. He bit me when i petted him on his back aandd just his back.

Okay. Well first of all you have only had him for two months, so perhaps this is not long enough for him to become accustomed to you. As you say, he is quite a shy rabbit anyway, so perhaps the combination of that, being petted once in a way he found scary, and being left for a week so soon would have made him quite scared.

Also, if you have only had him for 8 weeks (and are you sure? Because that would make him only 4 weeks when you got him), and then were away for a week, that's quite a long time for him to be away from you.

If he only had company for 15 minutes a day for a week, then I am not surprised he is afraid and very shy. If you had had him for perhaps a year, and then left for a week, his attitude to you probably wouldnt have changed.
However, seeing as he probably has barely got to know or trust you in this short time, leaving him for that week would probably have let him forget all the bonding that went on between you.

My advice would be to treat him now as if you had only just got him- establish those first bonds again you would have had to do straight away. Get down to his level, and make sure not to scare him.
Try letting him come to you, and try and spend at least 3 hours a day with him, and hopefully he will begin to be more confident and your relationship will grow.

Good luck- I'm sure everything will be fine. It just sounds like he hasn't really had much contact at all with humans and so is naturally scared, as he is a prey animal.

Jen :)

Latest posts

Back