bunny poop stuck!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamichu

Reaction score
Today I checked on my 2 lionhead bunnies that are 5 weeks old. When i picked
up one of them it had poop stuck on him. I tried taking it off with a warm wet towel
but it wouldnt come off! Is there any way that i can take it off easily???

I hope that you know how to handle a bunny

you can put a shallow amount of warm (not hot) water in the sink and sort of hold the baby in one hand and slosh the water into the poopy behind and work it out a little.

then place the baby in a towel

I am concerned this spring that so many forum members have ended up with babies that are too young to leave the mother. it is not your fault but the fault of the breeder or store that sold them to you.
if your baby has poopy butt that is a concern in a 5 week old who should still be with the mother.

you should get a probiotic called benebac to give to both of the babies to helpproducebeneficialmicroorganisms in the GI tract; a baby 's immune system grows stronger by feeding on the mother rabbit's milk. babies should not be weaned this early but should be with mom for at least another month.

what is the baby eating /

Okay. Problem is fixed. It wasn't as bad as i thought.

Well the breeder was feeding them veggies. So i feed them some of that but im cutting back on them after this happened...i do not want them getting sick.
but they have unlimited pellets and hay and water and alittle bit of oat meal.
I got them when they were only 3 weeks and they've made it to week 5!!!!

Wow. Three weeks is REALLY young to be taken from mom. I hope they do ok. I got my first rabbit when he was 4 weeks old (I didn't know any better)...so I figure that he must have been taken from mom when he was 3-4 weeks as well. He did live for almost 11 years...but he did have intermittent bouts of soft stool for most of his life. Nothing serious...just bothersome sometimes.

Personally, I think I would skip the oatmeal with these guys and just feed unlimited pellets and hay, including some alfalfa hay.

Best wishes.

I would carefully watch this bun. There will be a reason for it, and generally they are not good when their tummy is upset at that age. Hopefully it was an issue like diet related, because that's easier to fix than other potential health issues.

PamsWarren wrote:
Wow. Three weeks is REALLY young to be taken from mom. I hope they do ok. I got my first rabbit when he was 4 weeks old (I didn't know any better)...so I figure that he must have been taken from mom when he was 3-4 weeks as well. He did live for almost 11 years...but he did have intermittent bouts of soft stool for most of his life. Nothing serious...just bothersome sometimes.

Personally, I think I would skip the oatmeal with these guys and just feed unlimited pellets and hay, including some alfalfa hay.

Best wishes.

Don't feed veggies (you are asking for big trouble)but pellets and lots of hay.

and benebac
also a baby wipe is a better idea than a butt bath ; I didn't think about them

Please don't feed veggies or fruit to your bunnies until they are at least 6 months old.

I got Sweetie at 6 weeks old, she was a few weeks older than that when she had constipation. I called the vet the next day because it happened when they were closed and got an appointment that same day. Well I gave her an apple the day she had constipation, it helped her, so I kept feeding her apple, but only a little bit because she was young. Now Sweetie is 7 months old. She is doing wonderfully. Yes Sweetie is a lionhead mix.

They seem to be doing really great veggies though I haven't had any problems
with them for 2 weeks. The breeder already
had them on veggies and their mom was eating them. Should i still stop the veggies?
Should i also stop giving them oat meal?

I would cut back on the veggies - even my 3mos.old can start to get mushy poops when she pigs out on the veggies (she will gobble them down non-stop if I let her)she was eating them with mom at 1mos. but I've had to be careful not to let her eat too much. Push the hay and unlimited pellets though.

I'm not sure if their eating the pellets though.
I see them eating hay, veggies, oats and drinking water...but im not to sure
if their eating the pellets. How can i know if their eating them? what do i do if their not?

Are you having to refill their pellet bowl at all? That is how I would track how much they are eating. Watch how much is in the bowl and see if later in the day it is lower.

I don't have experience with this so hopefully someone else will come along with more experience but if you find they are not eating them I would try to cut down on veggies to encourage them to eat. How much are you giving them veggy wise per day?

No i havnt been having to refill the bowl of pellets at all. I put alittle bit of oats in with the pellets and they eat those but i donno about the pellets.

Veggie wise...i use to feed them veggies once or twice a day. But i cut back to just to just a very small amount once a day.

Are you feeding them the same pellets they were getting before? How long have you had them that you haven't had to refill the pellets? Sorry if you posted that somewhere and I missed it.

Personally, I would echo previous thoughts, and tell you to ditch the veggies entirely.

Measure out the pellets in a measuring cup when you feed your buns. Mark down the quantity. Before you feed them next, pour all of the pellets back into the measuring cup to get a true idea of how much they are consuming :)

Latest posts

Back