Bunny poop change

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 4 month old bunny is currently recovering from stasis. She's on an all timothy hay and meadow hay diet with a tiny bit of alfalfa. Mostly meadow now because the timothy hasnt been delivered yet and I ran out.

She'd usually get really bad around noon and stop pooping for hours but today she was only pressing her tummy and stopped pooping for a short time. She was leaving a lot of soft cecotropes too. She did today as well but they were much nicer looking. She's running around now, eating, playing and pooping like crazy but I noticed that her poops a bit off?
20211028_143124.jpg
Bottom is yesterday and top is today. The bottom ones are darker because she was on critical care for a bit, it's the size that worries me. Today's poop is MUCH bigger than any poop she's ever made before. It's also a bit flat but it's always been like that and they're all the same shape.

Is that a good sign or is that a sign of some other illness?

The poop itself looks good, unless it's hugely excessively large. Usually nice big round golden poop is a sign of good digestive function from the right diet promoting good gut motility. But not sure about the flatness if she didn't step on them and smoosh them herself.

If the digestive problems continue, she could be sensitive to the alfalfa, less possibly one of the grass hays, or she could have an underlying medical condition. Intestinal parasites still a possibility, or she could have a problem with the nerve function in her digestive tract not contracting properly and so causing all these digestive problems. Nerve disfunction will cause poop size and shape abnormalities. Megacolon is one chronic illness that can cause this to happen. Though usually with this you will see oval and other odd shaped fecal poop.

Back