Bunny pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susansheila

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I'm wondering what everyone feeds their bunnies. I'm in MA and trying to find Manna Pro Sho in my area. Can anyone help? Thanks!!

A couple Lagomorph Library threads that might help (from the Bunny 101 section):

Feeding Your Rabbit
Pellets
Hay: All About It

As for what I feed mine:

Rule #1 with bunnies...UNLIMITED GRASSY HAY. The most popular and recommended is Timothy hay. Alfalfa hay isn't a good idea to feed most buns, as they tend to have health problems with the calcium content in it. BUT...you can also feed your buns other grassy hays, like Tiffany, orchard grass, brome...but make sure it's UNLIMITED, as it's VITAL to a bun's digestive system.

As far as pellets: It really depends on the breed, and how quickly they physically mature, but most buns (except for giant breeds), by the age of nine months, should be on a timothy-based pellet (I feed mine Oxbow Bunny Basics T), but under nine months, if they're still growing (which you can normally tell by breed), they would need to be fed an alfalfa-based pellet (though there are many buns that were perfectly healthy and fine with Timothy-based pellets while growing). For my still-growing buns on alfalfa pellets (which is only one right now), I feed Oxbow 15/23.

Kaytee is also a good product...and is cheaper. BUT...I ONLY recommend either Kaytee Supreme Rabbit Daily Blend for a good alfalfa-based pellet or Kaytee Timothy Complete for a good timothy-based pellet food. Other than those two, I just cannot vouch for them (as they have percentages outside the recommended ranges, not to mention some of them have things in the food, like seeds, which are potentially fatal if ingested).

(I know there are a few people on the board that don't like Kaytee brand food, and that's fine, but there's not been scientifically, definitively proven anything wrong with it. Yes, it contains a certain chemical, but just about every pellet food contains it, including Oxbow, and it's not been proven to cause any problems. I fed my buns that for about two years...with no problem at all. And believe me, I wouldn't recommend it if I thought it dangerous to buns!)

Now, as far as amount...opinions vary...as it does per bun. For younger (still growing) buns (in other words, usually under nine months, or depending on breed), you'll want to feed them unlimited pellet food. If they're done growing, or over the age of about nine months, though, you're going to want to start slowly cutting back on the amount of food they get. The general rule of thumb (and again, per bun and per owner, this varies) for adult buns is 1/4c of pellet food per 5lbs of bun weight.

If you've been feeding them an alfalfa-based pellet food, you're going to want to gradually switch them to a timothy-based food. Be sure to do this gradually. Here's a good, easy to remember way to do this:

FIRST WEEK: 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food
SECOND WEEK: 1/2 new, 1/2 old
THIRD WEEK: 3/4 new, 1/4 old
FOURTH WEEK AND ON: all new food

If you can let us know what breed and age your bun is, I can let you know in more detail what you should do for your bun...but those are the general guidelines.

Hope all that helps! You can also read more about this stuff in the threads I gave you from the Library here on the forum.

Hugs!

Rosie*

Welcome to the forum! I've heard lots of good about Manna Pro. The Sho formula is a little high in fat so keep an eye on your rabbit's weight. The Pro formula is similar without quite so much fat. Either way, it's still a good pellet for young, growing rabbits or breeding buns, or adults as long as you watch their weight. Some adults get runny cecals/poopy butt from eating high protein pellets like this, but not all. If any of yours do have a problem, you can either reduce the pellets and feed more veggies or switch to a lower protein pellet, such as a timothy pellet or one of the 15% protein maintenance alfalfa pellets.

I feed Oxbow Bunny Basics/T (timothy pellet), because all my rabbits are spayed/neutered adults and one is really, really sensitive to protein.

Thanks for all replies.

I also have three chinchillas. I am switching them from Tradition/Hubbard Mills because I can't get that around here without paying shipping costs. So I have been told the Manna Pro Sho is good for my chins. I found this out before I adopted my rabbit.

Delilah is about 5 months old and 2 1/2 lbs. We are her third home. An unwanted x-mas gift. She gave Delilah to her friend and her friend didn't want her. So here we are. Delilah is really cute, but sometimes nippy. Not fixed yet. And not the best litter box habits. In her cage she will pee in her box but poop outside.

That is why I have her on Manna Pro Sho. I limit her pellets and plenty of Oxbow hay and fresh veggis. Just to make sure. I give her about 2 tablespoons of pellets in the morning, is that enough? She really loves her pellets. And I printed a list from a rabbit website that I take grocery shopping with me.:?

Hi,

I have also been considering switching to a Manna Product. I think most know that I feel that pellets are much over fed. I only use pellets to maintain weight and body conditioning...and some of our rabbits are not fed pellets. In studying the Manna products, I would not use the basic Pro formula. I would seriously consider the Sho formula. I also don't care if the pellets are alfalfa based or timothy based since pellets should be such a small part of the diet it shouldn't matter.

And as far as your chins....they do have differing dietary requirements than rabbits. We use Mazuri Chinchilla Diet here. We do have numerous chins in our rescue and several of them are special needs. Chins digestive systems are very delicate....just like rabbits....so it is important to offer them correct food. And chins love meal worms too....most people don't know that but it seems to really help their coats. We also offer our chins lots of different hays including lots of alfalfa.

Randy

There are so many opinions on feeds it would make one's head spin. On a chin forum I belong to a lot of people are going PANR or Manna Pro Sho. I hear mixed reviews on Mazuri. But you are going to hear that with any feed. I also feed a variety of hays. So what is one to do? . . . But thanks for your reply. I look forward to any and all information containing my animals.

I've always used Purina Rabbit Chow! It's done great for me, but you can only get it at specific dealers. You can find one near you at their website.

They have a lot of info about feeding amounts, etc. Also, they just came out with a new line called "Natural AdvantEdge." I was reading up about it, and there's a lot of research about it plus it's made from only fresh, natural ingredients.

Latest posts

Back