Bunny Pair Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
Okay, i currently have an unspayed female dwarf rabbit (Marley) and shes kinda a hand full! Shes not to much into human contact. Shell sniff you and come around you but petting or holding is a big NO!

But then heres where the new issue occurs my mom is buying an other bunny and its an un neutered male.(Hes supposed to be rather friendly) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397782991.612857.jpgMy mom pretty much is only getting him to breed and I'm not against it but I'm not going to breed my bunnies all there life! So i want to get them both fixed but everyone just tells me I'm dumb and that its a waste of my money!

So until i can get them fixed will they be alright together and what should i expect? And i WILL be keeping an eye on them and not leaving them alone, since I'm not sure if i really want to take on the responsibility of all those rabbits at this point in time.

If they both have reached sexual maturity and you put them together they will breed, I'm not sure that you want to risk that unless you want babies. I would suggest getting them fixed, then bonding them unless you want to breed. :)

I really think you should get your rabbit spayed before the new male bunny comes into your home. "Keeping an eye on them" will likely not prevent a pregnancy. I have never bread rabbits, but I am sure that it can happen quite fast.

There are a lot of unwanted rabbits in this world. I would say convince your mom she isnt going to make any money, only add to the over population and get him neutered :)

Rabbits can breed in a matter of seconds and can breed at any time (unlike dogs who have to go into heat in order to breed). This means there is no safe time to have intact rabbits together. Even 'keeping an eye on them' is not enough, rabbits are quick. The rabbits need to be kept apart and should not be allowed to be together. This means separate cages, run time etc.

Why does your mom want to breed? There are few good reasons to breed, and even then the vast majority of rabbits should not be bred. Breeding for pets, becasue they are cute, have nice personality, or just to have babies is not a good reason. Breeding to make money is just not going to happen.

Getting a rabbit spayed or neutered is not a waste of money. It does prevent breeding, can prevent reproductive cancers, greatly limits hormonal behaviours, and generally makes rabbits better pets. It also means the rabbits could be bonded and be able to live together (not all will get along, but there is a much better chance if the rabbits are neutered).

keeping an eye on them will not keep them from breeding. it only takes a split second for them to breed (trust me. i know) and if the buck is sexually mature he will most likely mount her right a way. if you do not want babies right away then you will need to keep them in a different cage or get one fixed.

please do not breed them if they are not showable and different breeds. the world had enough mixed breed rabbits as it is.

Rabbits will breed in 30sec.or less so keeping an eye on them would not work so well(it would happen to fast.

I would suggest getting one of them spayed/neutered...but only one of them cause it would be a wast of time and money for both. Spay/neuter... Whichever one is cheaper

Only spay/neuter if you do not want to breed😜

Hope this helps!

I heard getting both fixed would be best. Being with the prevention of cancer in the female and keeping the male from pestering the female.

Please do not keep these rabbits together or even in the same room. They may become aggressive and hormonal if they can smell/see each other. Not to mention the likelyhood of an escape.

I would hate to see another unwanted litter born because of ignorance. Keep them separate unless you are mentally prepared for complications of a doe giving birth such as death to the doe, kits, or even both!

I'm not an expert, I'm a new bun owner, but from what research I've done keeping an eye on them wouldn't work. It's not like dogs or cats at all. Rabbits can breed in less than a minute, and while you are shocked, then react by standing up, going to them, finally getting him off of her, BAM. The breeding is done.

Also you mention that you're female isn't very friendly, perhaps spaying her will change that. A hormonal pet is usually not a friendly one, spaying her will not only lower the chances of cancer, it will completely remove any bad behavior that is caused by hormones. Now, it isn't a FOR SURE thing. Her personality could be the culprit instead of hormones. But you never know until you try.

Sterilizing the male will also be wonders for you. No hormonal behavior, no pestering the female (if you spayed her), and no smelly spraying.

In the end, only people with good show quality rabbits should breed. To better the breed and such. Or people who plan on keeping ALL of the bunnies. But breeding just to experience it, or to sell for cash, etc, isn't a good idea. Too many buns are being bought for Easter or other holidays, for children, who end up getting bored and throwing them out. I see it happen way too much.

If I were you, I would never put an unspayed female and an unspayed male together if you are not intending to breed them. Ever. Also, spaying and neutering is NEVER a waste of money! Would you rather spend a bit of money and have the wonderful, friendly, healthy rabbit you always dreamed of or save a hundred (a lot of the time it's even less) dollars and have a rabbit who dies at the age of six or less because of uterine cancer, not even thinking about the temperament? That's just my advice. :)

Latest posts

Back