Bunny only aggressive when I try to pick him up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveCrumb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2.5 pound buck of mixed breed that I adopted in October. He's almost one year old, and he was neutered two months ago. We've bonded very well together , and he is much more affectionate than I thought a rabbit could be! When I have him on my bed, he snuggles right up to me and licks my face and hands all over.

When I first brought him home, he did not like being picked up, which I know is common for rabbits. He would thump his foot and dodge my hands. I know you're supposed to pick a rabbit up by under their feet so they feel secure, but this is hard to do when you have one dashing around trying to avoide your hands! When I finally was able to grab him, he would struggle so much, I was afraid I was hurting him.

I discovered a neat little trick of getting him in his litter box, and picking THAT up instead of him to transport him to his play areas and back into his cage. I have a very large cage for him that stands several feet off the ground on wheels. I don't have room for a ramp, or else I would let him use that to get out of his cage

In the last month, however, he's gotten sick of my trick of herding him into his litterbox. He started to lunge at my hands every time I would try, and two weeks ago he started to grunt and nip at my hands. I've handled violent animals before, so it's easy to stay calm and confident, even if he gets me. After a few tries, I'll stop and pretend to groom myself and show him that the situation is calm and normal.

The funny thing is, he LOVES playing outside of of his cage. As soon as I set him down in a play area, all is forgotten, and he's back to being affectionate. The same goes for when I put him back in his cage. He throws a hissy fit, but as soon as I place him on the cage floor, he's back to his normal self immediately.

Maybe, despite the fact he's been fixed, his age is partially to blame for this? It could be that as he gets older, he'll learn to tolerate me picking him up without too much of a fuss.

In the meantime, does anyone have any good methods they use to pick their rabbits up?

Our little girl also doesn't like being picked up. She will try to wiggle free and will try to bite you. I grasp her around the middle and once her hind feet are off the ground, I scoop them up. It seems to work so far.

Thank you for your suggestions :)

I honestly don't mind being nipped at, not that I condone this behaviour from him, but I don't feel like I need to wear protection from the little guy. I've handled violent dogs, so threats from a rabbit don''t really affect me.
I spent a lot of money on the cage, but it's size does prevent a temporary ramp, even if I rearranged my room. Unfortunately, it's also impossible to take the legs and wheels off, though I would if I could.
I guess I should rephrase my question and ask: What's the best way to pick up a resisting rabbit, or a rabbit that does not like to be picked up?

I use gloves with the babies because it gives ME more confidence I pick them up, and if struggling will hold them firmly to my chest until they calm down. I learned that from my Dobby, who HATES to be picked up, and will get really wiggly if I don't automatically place him firmly to my chest. Dobby knows that I will not let him go until he calms down. The babies are getting the idea too.

BTW with Dobby, I don't need gloves now. He's one years old, and I am more confident with him than the babies.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your "resisting" bunny. (I don't think they are aggressive, but thats just me.)

K:)

Latest posts

Back