Bunny on Vacation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Comish

Reaction score
Hello to all, looking for opinions and suggestions. Our rabbit sitter recently passed away and now we are considering taking our bunny with us on vacation to local spots. We have a travel trailer so she will be in our family environment and not in a hotel or motel situation. However we have not had our bunny travel with us before. I have a good solid travel carrier and a temporary cage big enough for her when we arrive at the campsite. My plan is for some safe fresh air during the day and inside with us at night to keep her safe. The trip should involve a car ride that would be no more than an hour and a half each way. So I am looking for suggestion on how to make the travel for her the most comfortable without freaking her out. Thank you.

That doesn’t sound bad! And it’s definitely doable!

My rabbit is quite used to travel so a two hour journey isn’t a problem for him, but I would definitely get your bunny used to the carrier and car rides if you have the time.

Setting up the carrier is simple: just put a towel or something similar (bed, fleece, ect) and add some hay in the back. I also recommend using a towel to cover the carrier, as rabbits are less scared if they can see less.

By ‘for some safe fresh air during the day and inside with us at night to keep her safe’ what do you mean? An xpen outside or a hutch sort of thing? It’s not super safe to have your bunnies outside at the moment in the United States due to the RHDV virus that is spreading at the moment (unless of course your rabbit is vaccinated). I would also worry about predators also. I’m not sure what kind of animals you have there, raccoons, coyotes, hawks??? Things like that to think about x

Having her in a cage next to you is totally fine, and allow her out for fresh air from time to time. If you can't find another sitter or friend to look after her, that's your best bet. 1.5 hour drive each way seems very manageable. That's about as far as we drove to bring our rabbit home when we adopted him.

Latest posts

Back