Bunny not eating

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Alisha Rais, Apr 16, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Apr 16, 2019 #1

Alisha Rais

Alisha Rais

Alisha Rais

i have a 3 month old holland lop. I took him to the vet after I noticed he was having sneezing fits. Turns out he has a respiratory infection so he was prescribed enrofloxacin. It’s been 3 days and he has been barely moving. He doesn’t eat. He doesn’t use his litter or drink water. I had to give him a bath because he keeps peeing in the same area just sitting lethargic. I don’t know what to do. He is so stiff. He won’t even eat treats.

2. Apr 16, 2019 #2

Bunny_Mommy

Bunny_Mommy

Bunny_Mommy

Gary The Bunny Supporting Member

Please take the bunny to an emergency vet immediately! This is serious, and the bunny may not make it until the morning, as he might have pneumonia... I lost my pet bunnies like this when I was a teenager Most or all exotic vets offer 24/7 on call emergency care. I truly hope the bunny will be alright.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. Apr 16, 2019 #3

JBun

JBun

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Yes, take your bun back to the vet. Not eating for more than 12 hours is considered an emergency with rabbits. After 3 days of not eating or drinking he will be severely dehydrated and in a critical state. He needs immediate emergency care.

It sounds like the antibiotic is severely upsetting his stomach, so along with IV or sub q fluids and the initial emergency care, the vet will need to switch to a different antibiotic or have you start syringe feeding every few hours to help keep you bun fed and his digestive system moving.
    https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Bunny_Mommy likes this.