Bunny not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtommyg

Reaction score
For Fall Break, Roger and I went back to my parents' house for a couple days. He was acting entirely normal there (actually FAR more active than he has been since we moved), but since we came back, he's been unusually skiddish and, worst of all, he doesn't appear to be eating ANY of his pellets. The food isn't the problem because first he wasn't eating the food form the bag I took with us on the trip (which he ate from), and then he has refused a new bag of the exact same type of food. His teeth must be all right because he's still eating his vegetables and he didn't turn down an apple last night, though he did wait until I had gone to bed to finish said apple. He's also been going through a lot more hay, presumably because he isn't getting the other fiber from his pellets.

I'm sure this is behavioral, but I'm not sure what I should to do alleviate the problem or how aggressively I should be trying to get him to eat. Is it safe to wait and see longer (been three days now), or should I actively start subbing in more fruits and veggies to make sure he's eating enough?

I moved your thread over the infirmary, as rabbits not eating is a big problem. There is normally some underlying issue.

You say your rabbit, for three days, has refused pellets but is eating lots of veggies and hay? Make sure Roger has lots of hay at all times and maybe try getting a couple different kinds of hay like blue grass, orchard, meadow or any other grass hay.

What kind of pellets was he eating?

I know that pellets are not 100% necessary, but you need to up the amount and variety of veggies and hay in order for him to get all his required vitamins and nutrients.

You should take a look at these threads in the Rabbit 101 section about pellets and feeding:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12160&forum_id=17
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12059&forum_id=17
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17

I'm sure others will be along shortly with better advice.

--Dawn

The food is Kaytee Forti-Diet. He's munching a piece of apple right now, but still doesn't appear to have touched his pellets yet today. I've always supplemented the food with some vegetables; my concern right now, to be honest, is that I seriously can't afford for him to start eating ONLY fruits and veggies.

Hay would be the biggest part of his diet, and should be with or with out pellets. Hay can be very cheap if you get it at a feed store, horse stable or other local places that sell by the bale. Getting your hay for cheap will cut down on the cost drastically.

You can also get many bunny safe veggies for free. All the green tops to carrots, celery, beets and other veggies are normally thrown away by the grocery stores. I always ask if they have any when I go and I can walk away with a couple grocery bags full of bunny safe veggies.

Also look for any little veggies stores. I have several near my house, and it's much cheaper than going to a big name brand grocery store. All they sell are fruits and veggies and I get more for my money.

--Dawn

Any update on Roger? Has he started nibbling his pellets again? Any change? How are his droppings? Is he still eating his hay? Let us know...

Well, he finally got over whatever he needed to get over and is eating more regularly. He also figured out how to cross the hardwood to my bed this morning and woke me up by using me as a trampoline. So I guess that means he's better. Thanks for asking.

YAY! Slave Trampolines are the best ones!

Wonderful! He may have just been upset over location changes... but it sounds like he's settled in. If he's adventurous enough to cross a slick wood floor, he's doing good. Hmmmm.... Ihope none of my bunnies use me as a trampoline! OUCH! That could be painful!

Latest posts

Back