Bunny noises

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertie

Reaction score
Hi I have a 4-year-old Hustlander bunny called Bertie. Sometimes he makes strang "honking" or "quacking" noises usually when he's eating or cleaning himself. My sister has his brother called Billy and he does the same thing. Does anyone know what these noises mean?

Some buns are much noisier than others. I have a couple of buns who honk and quack as well as other things.They make their noises in fear, anxiety, excitement, happiness the full works.

It might be worth getting your buns chest checked out though, just in case there is a medical cause for it, but it is very possible that your buns are just vocal. Some like to communicate with us. It might also be that it is an effort cleaning whatever area they are cleaning. I have a girl who makes noises like that.

From the sounds of it though, chances are they are just loud bunnies.

Muffin grunts when she's eating something she really loves--I think it's because she has a hard time eating and breathing at the same time with her Holland squishy face, and if she loves the food she just chows it down w/o stopping to breathe.

Guy makes a noise when he is stretching over in a ball to clean himself. When excited he makes a buzzing noise.

Ebony has a range of snortsand grunts that mean excitement or annoyance depending on the circumstances.

If a sound was being made all the time, it would be advisable to check the rabbit wasnot in pain from obvious injury and alsohave a vet put a stethascope (sp?) to your buns chest to check breathing.

Contrary to popular belief tho, few buns are silent :)

Jo xx

Many thanks to everyone who replied about the rabbit noises. He doesn't do it all the time, just now and again. Since I posted my message I haven't heard a peep from him!

My bunny, Wally, does this at times when he cleans his face also. I attribute it to the fact that he has had respiratory issues in the past and still occasionally has mucus from his nose. The vet didn't see any signs that it's a health issue, but perhaps scarring or damage from past respiratory problems.

Latest posts

Back