Bunny Neglect at Flea Market

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swingtown

Reaction score
I attended 7 Mile Fair in Caledonia, WI for the first time today. It is basically a giant flea market that also sells pets. I was appalled at the condition of the bunnies from one of the vendors. I have emailed both the vendor and 7 Mile Fair directly, but I am hoping if more people help out and email, it will get through to them better.

In one of the booths they had 20 bunnies of various breeds and ages all in one cage. It didn't have a top on it and the lady said I could pet them. It was obvious that many of the bunnies had been attacked by other bunnies. One of them had bite marks all over his ears. Another one had bite marks on his body. I didn't even really get a chance to pet any others. Also, they had about 10 ducks crammed into one small Rubbermaid container. They didn't have enough room to walk around. :X

If you would like to help out, you can email 7 Mile Fair at http://www.7milefair.com/home/ContactUs.aspx

Would it be appropriate for me to include the breeder's email on here for people to also contact?

Here is the text of the email I sent:

"Today was my first time attending 7 Mile Fair. While I mostly enjoyed myself, there was one glaring problem that needs to be fixed - the treatment of animals there. When you first walk in the gate to the left, there was a lady selling 4 rabbits. Three of the four were in cages so small it was nearly impossible for them to turn around. Even though they were in the shade, as a rabbit owner myself, it was easy to tell that they were still overheated.

Then there was a booth in one of the indoor buildings. I asked for a business card and it said it is run by Stacy (I edited out last name and phone number). The conditions some of the animals were in was deplorable. There was many ducks all crammed in a Rubbermaid container with barely enough room to walk around in. Also, there were 20 rabbits in one cage. Rabbits by nature do not get along with other rabbit unless they are from the same litter (these were all different breeds). When I petted the rabbits, there were obvious signs of injury to some of them. One of them had ears that had numerous bite marks. Another had wounds on the body.

This is completely unacceptable and I am hoping that something will be done to ensure that these animals are better taken care of while on your premises."

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back