Bunny Mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RileysMom

Reaction score
So initally my bunny wasnt eating and pooping properly, and he was in the middle of shedding so i just assumed it was that.

With more observation i noticed that he is having a problem with hismouth, he will take one bite of food then start batting at his mouthwith his paw......

Now my question is how do you manage to look in a bunniesmouth......i got my dad to hold him while i attempted but only couldsee his front teeth.

Any Ideas?

I have a vet appointment on Wednesday.

If you're willing to risk a hard bite, you canfeel the molars for sharp spurs. I do not recommend doingthis because he could do some damage to your finger.Otherwise you need a special instrument to look at them, which the vetwill have. Xrays should also be done, and anesthesia might beneeded to get a good look at the back molars. It's just noteasy to see the molars without a lot of help.

Is he still eating? He might like mushy food such as cannedpumpkin or watered-down pellets. Remember to go slowly withany new food.

Good luck with the vet! Is he rabbit-savvy?

Thanks for the advice. Heseating alittle bit, couple bites of celery, some banana....oats....andhis hay...i dont think hes eating his pellets, but maybe i should trywetting them like you suggested.

I went to the supermarket and couldnt find the canned pumpkin, maybe they dont sell it here.

He's poopin very little and its all moist and long.

The vet does specialize in rabbits, i called for the appointment fridayand was in shock my poor bun had to wait 5 days to get checked out

how did your appt go? how is your bunny?

Oh, and the canned pumpkin is with the pumpkin pie stuff...just make sure youre getting 100% pure pumpkin and not the filling...

he had spurs on his teeth, which arelittle sharpe peices of tooth that were digging in his mouth andcheek.....thats why he wasnt eating....he got them removed, and the vetsaid his mouth will be sore today...and they could come back every 3months so i have to think about him having surgery to file down histeeth so it stops happening. Im so happy hes ok though. he was sooopissed off at the vet though was thumping his foot hard on the table inthere, haha

seems like everyone on here is having teeth problems lately!

Im glad to hear he had his molars filed. Hopefully he will be eating okay and everything.

Please keep us posted!

RileysMom wrote:
Now my question is how do you manage to look in abunnies mouth
I tell Pebbles to Open Wide! :D

25252.jpg

Glad you were able to solvehis problem, and hope hecan eat without pain now.I find my pumpkin in thebaking section.

Rainbows! :)

the same thing happened when Beau's mouth gotreally uncomfortable ..he would paw at his mouth ..he's doing reallywell since his surgery (removal of 4 teeth on Oct 4th) and in severalweeks we have to go back for a re-check. He eats veggies again but asfar as I can tell is not eating hay at all no matter how I present itto him

Latest posts

Back