Bunny Mourning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancybutterfly

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Last week, my handsome Bob passed. I had him all of his 8 years. He left behind his pal, Zeus and they have been together all but 6 months of their lives. Bob died at the vet, although Zeuy was there during Bob's seizure and sensed something was wrong. After, we took Zeus to the vet to see him. Zeuy sniffed for a few seconds, then tucked his head into me (he'll do that when in a strange place).
At home, Bob and Zeus have a fairly large penned area. I have 2 large area rugs together. I have left those rugs in place, along with all the toys the bunnies had.
My question is, how long is 'enough' for a bunny to be around the passed companion? I know the ideal situation, but I am curious if Zeus had enough time. Also, He doesn't seem to be 'mourning' in a way that I have read a lot about. Could he still be 'waiting' for Bob to return?

Thanks for any input.

Marybeth

All rabbits will respond differently to a bonded companion passing, and the time seeing them passed really shouldn't have to be that long for them to understand. If your bun is eating normally and his behavior hasn't changed too much, it would seem like he is coping well. Usually signs of depression from a companion passing would be a reduction of appetite and reduction of activity, though some reduction of activity would be normal as they don't have their friend to pal around with.

Hi again, JBun, and thanks.
He does seem to be behaving normally, but I wasn't sure if that meant he wasn't sure yet of bob being gone forever.

I'm glad to have been able to be home the past week and a half to watch him. But I'm back to work now so I'more worried.

They were always playing, grooming, or sleeping by eachother. So I'm surprised (but thankful) he seems to be ok.

:dutch Candy like to fights and grumpy sounds, after that shake her body a
later on lay by her cage and open door like to kiss; isn't she sweet bunny?

I think it's different for each rabbit. I lost one of my rabbits last December. He and my other rabbit, Aki, had been living together since they were 2 months old. Aki saw he was ill but did not see him pass away. When I got back from the vet without him, Aki refused to go anywhere near the litter box where he stayed all the time during his last days. After that she began to become really hyper. She was jumping on my knees all the time (my rabbits are free-ranged in my office), jumping back as soon as I put her down sometimes 10 or 20 times in a row and she never sat still. She didn't binky or lay down anymore and she was always smelling things as if she was looking for her lost mate. It was really heartbreaking. It lasted for about a month. After that, I gave in and I took a new rabbit home. Aki calmed down immediately and stopped looking for the other rabbit. Now, 8 months later, she's just how she used to be. The only thing that stayed the same from her "mourning" period is that she is now a lot more wary of travels and she is terrified of the vet - I had to hold her for the vet to look at her and give her her mixy shots because she was trying to escape whenever the vet touched her (she never did that before and it's been like that the 2 times I went to the vet with her after my other rabbit died). She doesn't get on as well with the new rabbit than with the one who was there before, but they do OK together.
I know someone who had one of her two rabbits pass away about one year ago. He passed at the vet but when the owner came back home with the empty carrier, her remaining rabbit fled into his little house moaning and making crying sounds. He clearly knew his friend died. He did that every time she tried to touch him for three months after that. So I guess each rabbit has its way to mourn and needs more or less time to do so. A lot of articles advise to wait until the mourning period is over to give a new companion to the remaining rabbit, but getting to know another rabbit really helped mine to get over her grief. Again, I guess it depends on the rabbit...
If yours seem to be okay, that's good. Some rabbits mourn rather quietly. Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss. I was devastated when Pandora died and I think I needed the "new guy" almost as much as my grieving rabbit did even if I didn't realize it at the time. Do you plan on getting another rabbit?

Thanks, Aki.
I guess I'm not sure if Zeuy realizes that bob isn't coming back. I guess I assumed
he'd mourn more like your rabbit or your friends. I haven't had any real clear signs.

I am wondering if I'll come home one day and see that he's no longer waiting for bob, and he realizes and mourns.

Thanks for all the input, bunnyfriends!

Latest posts

Back