Bunny Licking?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKitty

Reaction score
Spur seems to lick things excessively, although I don't know if that's a big deal or not.

She licks a lot of things (not herself) and initially I thought it was affection, however she's gotten some other things she'd lick for long periods of time like a pillow or more recently a sheepskin jacket.

She's spayed, should I be concerned?

Not a concern, nope. :)

Some bunnies just like to lick. What breed is she? Has she always been a licker?

ETA: The things she's choosing to lick are likely in lieu of having a bonded mate. Rabbits are very social, they'll bond with all kinds of other animals including stuffed ones. Does she lick you? Does she like getter pets?

And welcome to RO! :welcome1 :hello

(BTW, can you please put your location in your profile? Breeds, ailments, meds, supplies, etc, vary quite a bit from area to area).

sas :bunnydance:

Welcom to the forums.

As sas said rabbits are social creatures, my Lucy is exactly the same.

The reason why your rabbit will be licking these items more is because they most likely have your scent on them very strongly. Or someone else's scent, the point being that they smell like a person.

My bunny is a licker, too! He'll sometimes go on a long licking spree where he'll lick my fingers and hand for 15 minutes or so. I figure it's because we're kind of salty, so it's almost like a little treat. He's been doing this since day one of me bringing him home.

Is too much licking unsafe?

My little bunny just likes to lick, it's one of the main reasons I got her in the first place! She was a tiny little fluff ball, I picked her up and put her to my chest. When she started licking me I told myself there was no way I was leaving without this bunny!

She licks fabric stuff like couch/pillow/jacket/clothing, but also me in general. I don't know if she likes the taste or the texture.

She does not over groom, however. I don't have any concerns other than possibly ingesting something bad :(

Since she's a solo bunny I guess that's part of it, but she's been a licker since day 1.

Back