Bunny Keeps Burrowing and Hiding - Is this Normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunarlady

Reaction score
Hi guys!

It's been a while since I last posted here. Got a little busy with work.. Anyway, I just wanted to ask since I've started observing an odd behavior with my male rabbit recently.

I keep them in a big cage and put newspaper padding on the floor daily to keep the cage clean and to protect their feet (my vet's advice.) However, I've started noticing that my male bunny, Blanco, keeps digging at the newspapers and hiding himself underneath them. My guess is that he's hiding - maybe for privacy? But I'm not sure if this is natural. I keep wondering if he probably got traumatized at one point without my knowledge.. but he doesn't seem to be frightened when he's underneath the newspapers or when I carry him out of there. When I fix the padding, he just goes back, scratches at it and hides beneath it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

PS: My vet told me to put newspaper padding on the floor of the cage because it's made of wire slats and he said that, over time, my bunnies might get some foot injuries because of the uneven flooring. That's why I change it daily.. and which is why I'm not too keen on taking away the newspaper padding completely. :) Help?

I've got a picnic cloth that's plastic on one side and fuzzy on the other. I put it on my bed when I'm going to be gone on vacation so George doesn't get any ideas. Well, one night I left it on the floor and George went NUTS!! She scooted right under it and there was claw scrabbling against the floor as she dug and then a bunny nose peeking out one side and then BACK under the cover and shifting and pushing and scooching and MORE digging and - long story short, it's now permanently on the floor with one of her half chewed wicker baskets under it and one of her favorite towels. She's got a little rabbit warren at the foot of my bed. Rabbits are burrowers and chances are Blanco is loving the chance to be a 'wild bunny' and indulge his tunneler instincts. I'd guess he's probably the opposite of scared - he's loving it now that he's discovered it!

If your buns are litter trained you could put some bun safe wood down in their cage or some other flooring. You could also try putting a box in there that he could lie in or purchase a bunny hut sold at pet stores or online.

Yeah it's completely normal! My little guy loves to dig everything he sees the opportunity to dig and tries to make little places to go hide in. You could try getting him a small shelter (like a wooden box) if you think he wants some space to himself- most bunnies like to have a place they can go out and hide everyone in a while.

Back