Bunny jumped and fell onto tile floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikandiona

Reaction score
We're coming to the end of the dose of Pancur for our bunny to defend her agains suspected E.Coniculi which we were worried her sister could have passed on.
Today bunny was very inquisitive and seeking attention, so she climbed up my legs to sit on my lap on the sofa. Later on she had two goes at jumping up on the sofa so perhaps it's a wise time to raise the height on her fence!
So I wanted this dose of Pancur to be quick and least stresfull for bunny, i prepped everything on the side table by her enclosure and sat myself on a chair. I picked up bunny and let her sniff her dried mini apple cube to bribe her into taking the Pancur. She fell for it and we almost managed to make it a whole dose but there was a little left on the seringe. As I wiped the remainder of the medicine onto the apple cube bunny jumped frantically off my knees. I tried to catch her in mid air as she was about to fall onto a hard tiled surface but it only managed to slightly brake her fall and nudge her toward the carpet. She hit the tile on her side and lept up onto the carpet. Licked her lips with chin raised. I watched in dispare expecting something bad to happen. She didn't make any sound just went on to clean her face up of the Pancur. I offered her the apple treat. She ate it. She then went on to eat some hay and moved around the room. I rang the vet stating my observations and decided to watch a little longer and see if she continues to demonstrate normal behaviour. I could hear her gut moving but I massaged her belly just to be on the safe side. Bunny went on to eat more hay, a portion of pellets drink water and then went into loaf position. At this point I really struggled to decide if she was showing signs of discomfort or just napping due to the time of day (1:30am) It is normally lights out by this point. I felt her bone structure and both halves of her body matched head to toe, she didn't show signs of discomfort at being touched. She moved around a little between her naps and as I was lying next to her for some time I noticed she was twitching a little. My understanding was that she may have been entering rem phase of her dreams as she did that before but I was seriously concerned that this may be some kind of fit induced by concussion. I read up a few blogs and continued to watch her. I noticed that the twitching happened as she was falling into a deep sleep and if she heard a noise she would wake up from her sleep eyes wide open so I am confident that the twitch is nothing to worry about. I couldn't settle until I saw her pass the food she had eaten and after 3 hours of the incident she finally layed some poops! What a relief. She has continued eating large amounts of hay, ears up. Trying to keep a balance of keeping bunny protected, stress free and not giving too many apples at 8 weeks which previously have caused some loose poops has been a huge challenge. I will be keeping an eye on her over the next 48 hours - a camera is set up so we can watch her through the day and her medicine will now have to be cleverly administered from the comfort of a carpeted floor. On the first day we gave the 18% Pancur for rabbits which she seemed to like a lot more as it is supposed to taste sweet however the portion size would have been difficult to measure for her weight of 370g and we decided to administer the 10% more liquid and clearly bad tasting Pancur. I would advise anyone hoping to buy a new bunny to hold off a little as these guys are still so fragile at 8 weeks, I found the experience of owning a baby bunny of this age unbelievably stressful and a very delicate process. It is hard to find a vet with good experience of bunnies so getting the answers you need given that these guys don't make their symptoms very clear is never easy. It was reassuring to read other peoples experiences of bunnies jumping out of hands so I hope this information can help someone else desperate for answers or other owner experiences.

First off, welcome to RO! I'm so sorry you've found us under worrisome circumstances, but glad you're here none-the-less. I hope you stick around and get to know us all :).

It does definitely sound like she's just fine from the fall. Eating/pooping/peeing/drinking normally and no unusual behavior or movement - she checks all the boxes. I, too, got rabbits at 7-8 weeks and it's definitely worrisome at times! They're so tiny and fragile seeming. That's not even getting into the $450 it cost me to spay two girls, heh. All subsequent bunnies have come from the shelter, where we didn't have to pay for spay/neuter surgery and they ranged from 4 mos to 3 1/2 years old.

By the way, pics of cute little baby bunns are ALWAYS appreciated here! ;)

Latest posts

Back