bunny jiggly may be sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betsy

Reaction score
jiggly was part of my rescue from a shelter(just never left) I have no idea how old she is. Till today she has been fine.. happy loving full of it..:) today she won't eat, goes from shelf to shelf and lays down.. doesn't want to be picked up. going to run her for blood tests.. just wondering if anyone knew if this may be old age or illness and if I should prepare for the end or a big vet bill. neither is good.. but one is more solvable.. she doesn't want to be picked up, got to pet her a bit but not like normal. offered her treats, her daily yougurt bite and carrot..she will eat nothing.. left her to rest.. she is still potting. stripped her box so i could watch a bit easier.. any ideas???

Sounds like GI Stasis. Give her a tummy rub and some simethicone. Check the library link for more information. Others with more experience should chime in here.

For stasis, hydration is the most important thing to provide them. Try offering her some water with a dash of juice or vanilla, but always keep her normal source of water (bottle or dish) full of plain water in case she doesn't like the flavours. You can also try some pedialyte (electrolyte drink for dehydrated infants), and syringe some to her. Best would be to get some sub-q (under skin) fluids from a vet or someone trained to give them.

Soaking any greens in lots of water before feeding will also help get moisture into her. You can try waving a piece in front of her nose in an attempt to make her angry enough to bite it to move it out of the way. Sometimes just taking that one angry bit is enough to prompt them to eat the whole piece.

Baby gas medicines are also really good to give. You want the active ingredient of simethecone. You can give about 1cc every hour for up to 4 hours. If this is a gas attack, you will notice this makes a big difference. Tummy rubs will also help.

Here is the link to the information in the library:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

It is also important to find out what caused the stasis. If the source is not found, then she'll keep going in to stasis.

--Dawn

is it really stasis?? I went to check on her about half an hour ago and she ate a cracker and her water bowl was moved.. so she is moving around.. will they eat if they have stasis?

It could have been a gas attack, which is very uncomfortable and painful. When having a gas attack, bunnies tend to look very poorly, press their tummies to the floor, not want to eat or drink. Once it passes, they bounce right back.

If she's drinking water, that is really good.

Is she eating her pellets/hay?

--Dawn

It's not stasis if she's still pooping normal poops, but it's likely gas which can be a symptom of stasis (or cause stasis), maybe from something she ate.

If she seems uncomfortable and is pressing her tummy to the ground, getting up and lying down, etc, I'd guess gas. Whether its a cause or a symptom of something else, though, will still have to be determined.

But for now the simethicone (large doses every hour for three or four hours), very long tummy massages (by hand or a massage tool -- I use a vibrating toothbrush) and a little bit of exercise is the best bet.

It may last for hours, but they snap out of it quickly when they do.

How is she now?

sas :?

I know this sounds wierd but she isn't a big hay eater no matter what.. she hasn't eaten much today.... but wil take treats and nibble on them now which is more then it was this morning.. she has a multi level cage.. and she is staying on the bottom still.. but she seems more nose wiggly now.. she looked like hell and nothing moved on her this morning. was thinking about taking some greens to her since they are water soaked... good or bad?

Is she used to greens? If so, then yes.

Have the teeth been checked? Did you change anything in the diet yesterday or today that could have maybe caused this?

yes, she is use to greens.. she gets treats every couple days.. and I rotate, bananas, greens, carrots and her i'm not suppose to but triscuts.. she like shredded wheat too. every day she gets one yougurt bite.. made for bunnies(she has to pick her own out of the tupperware dish. and every day she gets the normal water, pellets and hay. then the treats every few days. nothing new.. she hasn't even been out of her cage to have gotten into anything... my daughter is old enough not to give her anything.. so I doubt that is it... again, i don't know how old she is.. could this just be old age???
she did eat some of the greens but she is grunting at me which isn't normal.. she is usually very sweet unless it's time to go back in the cage.. then she has a temper tantrum.. but that's kids for you..:)

I wouldn't feed her anything at this point other than hay and maybe pellets. (And water). The gas can reform after treatment, so it can go in cycles where they perk up a bit after the simethicone and massage, but then feel poorly again.

Just about anything can give them an unexpected bout of gas in terms of food (eg: a tiny spoiled spot or a sensitivity to a variety), but also if she has other issues, even dental or internal.

See how she is after you treat the gas -- see if she's eating, chewing and pooping and peeing normally.

If she still seems not quite right, I'd get her in for an exam including x-rays.

sas :clover:

PS: I assume she's spayed? If she's an older bunny, my experience has been that dental issues (most often tooth-root related) and cancer are the biggest nondescript ailments (the ones with the vaguest symptoms) that pop up, and both are best caught early.

A rabbit-savvy vet can do a visual exam to determine whether a blood test or x-rays will be the best next step. It's very hard to get a visual of dental, so watch and document her eating habits -- if she's 'off' any foods she previously ate, if she drops food or seems disinterested after the first bite, etc.

The vet will feel feel for any bumps or lumps or anything unusual with her organs.

If there's no clear indication of things requiring a closer look, it's a bit of a crap shoot whether a blood test or x-rays is the next step.

X-rays may have to be both dental and intestinal. Blood tests can spot problems with the organs, but I think so can abdominal x-rays. It's a tough call.

sas

she is spayed.. at least that is what i was told.. she was adult when i got her.. :) last night she was up on the top shelf of the cage begging for her yougurt and this morning all food is gone, she is responding to me not grunting and asking again for her treats.. not a clue but thanks for listening.. oh and blood work came back fine.. wondering if maybe she was just pouting.??? darn jiggly.. lol

Sounds a lot like Pumpkin when she has a bout with gas. It is so painful for them, but when it's gone, at least she seems to bounce right back. I'd just keep an extra-close eye on her for a few days. Glad to hear she's better.

Back