Bunny isn't eating (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahb0305

Reaction score

- Description (Breed, color., weight):
Lionhead, feels like maybe 1 or 2 lbs... and shes a brown/gray color

- Age: I'm not sure how old she is, I'm assuming kind of young. I'll post a picture. I got her from the fair 5 days ago.

- spayed/neutered? No, not yet at least.

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? She pees.... but I'm not sure if shes pooping, when I first got her, that night she had diarrhea. I read up on everything I could. I put some pineappl juice in her pin (and also dipped her feet in it, i had heard that they will lick their feet to clean themselves, and putting their feet in the juice ensures that they lick it and stay hydrated.) I also put some canned pumpkin and some oatmeal in her pen, both of which she didn't touch.
- When did they last use their litterbox? She peed recently, I don't see and poops in her pen.
- Any unusual behavior? She's not eating I don't think. I got her to eat a little last night, all I SAW her eat was maybe 2 or 3 pellets. I bought pellets with timothy hay mixed in, b/c I live in the middle of no where and the only thing they had at the walmart a city over was that. I've ordered some timothy hay online though, and it should be here within the week.

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? I'm betting she's never been to a vet... I got her a few days ago at a fair and only paid 10 bucks... and I don't know if shes ever been sick before, but I'm assuming she is now.

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? shes SUPPOSED to be eating "Western Timothy Essentials" its pellets with hay mixed in but she won't touch it. Or any yogurt treats. And After I posted on yahoo I cut up a radish and a carrot and put it in her pen with her and she won't touch that either.
- when and what did s/he eat last? I take her outside on a little leash and a harness (she loves it... even tho I'm not really walking her... just kinda following her and letting her go where she wants) but I take her out because the only thing she seems to even munch on is the grass outside (we dont have any bug spray or fertilizers in our grass... so im hoping it's okay that she nibbles on this?)

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? she hops around fine, and if I let her out she hops around and chills in a spot, then she'll move to another place... she seems to be okay in movement area.

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No, only if shes outside (and i only let her nibble on grass) and shes in my room with me right now, never outside alone either.

- has the rabbit been outdoors? Yes...

Okay, so I posted this on yahoo answers and they told me to post it on here because you guys are way more informative and bunny-experienced. So instead of retyping it I'm just gonna copy and paste it.

"My bunny isn't eating or pooping i don't think!? Help! I bought a lionhead rabbit at my county fair 5 days ago. I paid 10 dollars for "her" (the man said it was a girl but i have no clue how he could tell because she had poo stuck down there) and once I got her home and cleaned her off i looked up how to determine the sex and am stil unsure if its a boy or girl... looked like girl parts but it may be too young to know. I don't even know the bunny's age! My problem is that I brought her home and she had been having diarrhea and it was sticking to her, but I had heard that this could be stress induced. So i gave her a warm butt bath, blow dryed her, and brushed her. The diarrhea has stopped, a few days ago, and it had looked like she was making normal cecal poo. But now its been 2 days later, and I can't find any bunny poo in her pen, and she doesn't ever eat that I'm noticing. I bought her some good healthy pellets with some timothy hay in it, (and just ordered 4 bags of hay, have to wait for them o arrive though, i live in the middle of no where!) but she doesn't eat it. I got her to eat a little bit last night, but i dont think she ate much. I even bought the little yogurt treats that my friend's bunny loves, but mine won't touch them. She drinks plenty of water, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Right now I have her in my backyard with me. Shes right by my foot on her little bunny leash/harness munching on grass. Our grass isn't treated, and it seems to be the only thing she'll eat. What should i DO? I can feel her spine and practically every bone (i have to feel because shes super fluffy). She is breathing well, and isn't lethargic. I've bought a 10 dollar bunny and spent almost 100 dollars buying her stuff to eat, make a pen, and play with. I really love her, and she's a really NICE bunny (which is a first for me, I liked her because she was friendly). I'll be really sad if she dies, and feel like I failed her... any recommendations besides taking her to the vet? We have one vet here and he isn't really rabbit savvy. I bought a little syringe feeder, so if you recommend any supplements or medicine i can order and maybe administer? Or do you think she's just stressed over her new home?
Extra info- when the bunny had the diarrhea i filled a little bowl with pineapple juice, and i also dipped her feet in it (I had read that it would clean its feet and licking the pineapple juice would help keep her hydrated during her diarrhea), i also tried the oatmeal, i had heard that it helps absorb some intestinal issues, and i had also even tried some canned pumpkin, she wouldn't eat the oatmeal or the pumpkin, but I assume the juice got better. And yes, that's how i gave her a bath, in the shallow warm water. I used sensitive skin oatmeal pet shampoo. I just want her to get better! Thank you guys so far, for your information."

10616_176127274417_605229417_3878178_4916928_n.jpg
10616_174694774417_605229417_3863855_8242577_n.jpg

Okay, forget the pineapple juice, the sugar can make it worse.

Can you get canned pumpkin? Pesticide/animal waste-free grass?

Oops, just saw that you have pumpkin and she is eating grass, that's good.

If she's not pooping, though, its serious. You may need to force feed her some pumpkin mixed with well-soaked pellets and water. Or just pumpkin at this point.

Best would be to get her to a vet though and get Critical Care and a diagnosis.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm reading this more closely, but my vision is blurry, so bear with me. You don't have hay? Can you get some? And the pellets were what she was eating before? If she's willing to eat grass, she's probably going to eat hay, and that's essential, esp. if she's had any diarrhea.

sas :pray:

I'm glad someone replied! She's still not eating that I'm noticing. I just let her out of her pen. Shes been smelling HORRIBLE. And I think her fur is absorbing her pee or something? I don't know but I just turned her upside down to look at her and she has like... poo stuck on her too. It soft and not cecum shaped at all... just smooshy poo. I'm about to give her a wipe down or another butt bath. Her feet are wet too, she's making it a habit to stand in her water bowl. She's still drinking though, so I guess that's good.

And the only hay I have is mixed in with her pellets. It's the only kind they had. I live in a small town, and we don't have any pet stores. We have a local hardware store that sells horse feed but thats about it. I went to the walmart a city over and thats the only food they had. I have ordered some hay from a petstore online, and it's been mailed but probably won't be here for another 2 or 3 days =/ I also ordered a water bottle to keep the wet feet thing away, and a tip-proof feed bowl. And something called Marshall Bi-odor internal waste and urine deodorizer for small animals. You supposedly mix some in with her water and it makes her pee smell less? It says its vet approved, have you ever used something like this?

But the main issue still is getting her to eat.. I can't force feed her the pumpkin yet because the syringe is coming in the mail with the hay, bottle, and deodorizer...

I don't want my bunny to die :( But I think bringing her to my vet would be pointless. I've job shadowed our vet before and he only sees dogs cats and horses. He'd probably tell me shes dying and put her down if I brought him a bunny... and I have never seen an emergency vet clinic here, the vet may be an on-call vet but im not sure.

If you're in horse country, get some horse hay from a neighbour or feed store pronto.

This little bunny sounds very ill. She needs to be on hay and water, like yesterday.

The bad smell is probably the diarrhea/cecal smell, or caused by a parasite.

The feed store should have most of what you need.

Any human drug store should have a syringe behind the counter and should give one to you if there isn't a needle attached.

You can try cutting the end off of a rubber glove or baby bottle. Or a plastic container with a nozzle like a well-washed mustard squirter. Lot of options for pumpkin, it's easy to 'squirt' through smaller holes.

If you can pick dried grass (preferably long stems) from pesticide and animal waste free areas, that will help.

The bunny needs hay and water.

The store that sells horse feed may also have some medicines that may come in handy, and maybe syringes, etc.

And definitely don't use the Marshall's deodorizer, most pet store products like that are pretty bad.

OMG. CVS closes at 9 on saturdays, and they wont be open until 10 am tomorrow morning. Will just pumpkin suffice until tomorrow morning, when I can get the acidophilus and pedialite?

i have water for him, and am going to do the pumpkin feeding now. should i mix in some yogurt with it?

I'd stick with the pumpkin and water for now. Have you tried any dried grass? If so, is s/he eating it on her own?

What kind of yogurt? Even plain yogurt has sugars, but depending on what it is, it may be better than nothing.

Make sure you keep him/her warm.

mk im about to start the pumpkin. and the yogurts not a good idea, i just checked the date on it... its out by like 2 weeks =/

She most likely has a serious imbalance in her gut ..causing the bad odor in her poops.

Unfortunately many of the self treatments are things that you do not have .
you need to get a probiotic ...now this is something that can be bought at a farmstore for horses so if you have a tractor supply or farm and fleet anywhere in your area you can get probios thee
you really need a vet
It is worth it to go to the vet because you can get the equipment (like syringes ) to help her there. any vet may be better than none; just say 'No" if they want to PTS
If this was me I would go through the house looking for a syringe that is attached to another medication or something else andI would take the syringe and wash it Very Verythoroughly and use that for the pumpkin . start being creative and think of something that you could use that is similar to a syringe .

you also need an electrolyte drink and gas meds.

use your finger to try to get food into her mouth if necessary; I have done this before and it is messy but you need to get food into her. Put some pumpkin on her foot if necesary so that she will groom the food off.

With so little to work with it is going to be hard to save her .:(
if she is eating grass that is better than nothing ( i just reread the post; yogurt treats and stuff like that is really bad for her right now)

do you have any parsley or other greens in the house ( not radishes and carrots)

let us know what is going on there .

I agree that Bene-Bac or Probios is a very important thing, and instead of pineapple juice use pedialyte. Many farm stores also sell syringes, and you can use an eyedropper to force feeder if you need to.

I'd only offer her pellets, hay, water, pumpkin, and pedialyte right now--no treats. The grass is fine but hay is better. It may also be good to get some simethicone into her--baby gas meds. 1mL/hr for 3hrs.

If she doesn't eat for 24 hours, that's really bad and requires a vet visit. It sounds like bacterial gut imbalance (she should be eating cecals and producing cocoa puff poos), perhaps caused by virus, stress, a parasite, or bacterial exposure.

She's really adorable. Good luck!

I feel really horrible writing this... I got up at 4 am to check on her a second ago, and she's died. :( I feel like the worst bunny owner ever.... I'm never buying a bunny from some old farm man again. I hope he gets some bad karma for selling sick bunnies :( And I hope all his bunnies get better and escape while they can.

I feel like a child because I only had the bunny 6 days and I cried like a baby... She was alive just a few hours ago and i fed her some pumpkin (Using a sandwich baggy with the end cut off) and she drank some water. She was lethargic. I called my mom and dad and they told me (Even though they hated that I got a bunny, and have been yelling at me all week [especially dad]) that we'd take her to the vet tomorrow morning. And now it's too late, and she's gone :(

I'm sorry you guys. I wish I had caught on sooner.... :cry1:

RIP little bunny :innocent, I never even got to name her properly, I was calling her "bun-bun" (& Stinky, affectionately)

I miss her :(:cry2:(:cry2:(:cry2

I'm so sorry, Sarah. She was a very sick little bunny from the day you got her. I think it was most likely Coccidia, she never did have an appetite even though she was being offered the food she was used to. The chances were slim to none you could have pulled her out of it even if you had everything people suggested in this thread.

And its unfortunate, but its unlikely a local vet could have helped, they're agriculture vets in your area, they talk about rabbits in the same breath as chickens.

I'd seriously send a note to the people in charge of the fair, maybe it will inspire them to keep an eye on this breeder.

You've been a very attentive and loving bunny owner, I know how much research you did once you had her and realized she was sick.

I'm so sorry it didn't work out. I do hope you try again.

sas :bigtears:

Oh this is sad ... but it is hard to treat a buncoming from a bad situationand already sick . you were a wonderful mom for the short time that you had her. she was not cared for properly from the people that owned her

Iam so sorry :bigtears:

I'm so sorry. You really did try hard but it's hard to save bunnies that young with diarrhea, and the guy you bought her from obviously didn't care much about her health and that was most likely the cause of her illness. I hope you consider getting another bunny at some time, and perhaps getting one from a shelter where they've been seen by a vet and approved to be healthy.

Thank you all for your support. It really does make me feel better. I'm considering getting a bunny again one day, but I'm definitely going to wait a little while. I feel like I need to let this bun's memory rest for awhile. I only had her a short while, but I loved her fluffy little self. I feel like she tried her hardest to hang in and stay alert. My dad is home now, he's digging a final resting place for her under the mimosa tree we planted in memory of my aunt. It's the prettiest spot in my yard.

And as for the carny-man... my mom called PETA, and the SPCA who had a sheriff take them down there to the petting zoo. Not sure if anything will come of it, but maybe in the least it will motivate that man to take better care of his bunnies.

Again, thank you all for your advice and support. Especially you Pipp, you were a great help, I just wish I didn't live in such a ridiculous place where everything closes @ 5 and 9...

Deepest sympathy :bigtears:

Your bun-bun will be happy and well-cared in the small animal heaven over the rainbow bridge, she will be watching over you. RIP. Best wishes to her and to you.:angelandbunny:

Hi,

I am so sorry you lost this bunny. I wish I had seen this earlier as I am a little over an hour from you.....and I could have gotten your bunny some help either in person or by talking to a sympathetic vet.

I have thrown fits about fairs, carnivals and festivals offering live animals as prizes. Most are very unhealthy. There were some changes in NC state laws but limited one....mostly that rabbits had to be at least 8 weeks old to be offered. Brunswick Co, located between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach passed a county ordinance that bans offerings of live animals at festivals in that county. It started with a newspaper article we contributed to regarding Easter rabbits and the conditions rabbits were being held at a local carnival.

As far as filing complaints, PETA is a joke so don't waste your time and SPCA has very little pull in most of NC....anywhere outside a major city. Your complaints should be directed to the State Department of Agriculture. That orgainization handles matters regarding fairs/festivals and also regulates livestock (and rabbits are considered livestock). Here is a link to the Ag people.... http://www.agr.state.nc.us/index.htm

You might not get an immediate answer since they also manage The State Fair in NC and that is coming up in days. Again, sorry for your loss and I totally support you in your complaints. Let me know if I can help you in filing any complaint with the state.

Randy

I just read this thread and my deepest condolences go out to u. U were diligent in your quest to make your bunny better and I am so sorry for your loss, u did everything you could.

Latest posts

Back