Bunny is shedding A LOT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaevePotter

Reaction score
Hi,

He is shedding a ton, even around his face! Is this normal? he'sgetting some real thin spots. Also I found some thick yellowish stuffwith some red in it by his poop during free roam time, and I don'tthink the cats did it. Is he ok? Anyone know if that discharge isnormal?

Meghan

Is the shedding over the entire body? Its probably normal, but can you post a pic? That might help.

Lots of bunnies will shed their entire coat, but shedding can also bedue to something like mites or an infection. Notice any itching or redirritated skin?

For the poo, was it in a pellet or cecal? I really have no idea. Is heeating and drinking regularly? Can you monitor it better when hes inhis cage?

MaevePotter wrote:
Also I found some thick yellowish stuff with somered in it by his poop during free roam time, and I don't think the catsdid it. Is he ok? Anyone know if that discharge is normal?

Hmm,i was just wondering if you have seen him straining to do a wee or anything?

Sometimes that thick yellow stuff can indicate a bladder problem,like bladder sludge or a bladder infection

Is his poop normal as always?

Another thing,some bunnies can have a reddish coloured wee as well

Also a bunny under stresscan shed a lot to!

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out more on this

cheryl

Hi Meghan,

Is he an inside or outside bun?

Reason I'm asking is that a temp change could cause both of his issues.
A change from warm tocool temps could cause the urine to betingedorange to red.
A change from cooltowarm could prompt a bun toshed heavily or even go into a molt.

The thick yellow urine could just be normal expelling of calcium from the buns system.

dangit, I just lost my whole post..

He is inside. Could it just be a normal molting period? He is moltingall over his body, not just the face. He seems to be eating anddrinking regularly. Am I giving him too much calcium? Which veggies arehighest in that?

The urine is thick yellow, and not in the poop. Cecals are normal.Could it be a sign of sludge? If so should he see the vet immediately?What is the treatment?

I will update with pics.

Is the bun drinking water? It seems reallyyellow which generally goes hand in hand with dehydration. Although itsounds like you feed veggies so she should be getting some from that.

Edit - Also that brown or red smear is beyond me. It doesn't seem to be affiliated with either set.

MaevePotter wrote:
He is inside. Could it just be a normal molting period? Heis molting all over his body, not just the face. He seems to be eatingand drinking regularly. Am I giving him too much calcium? Which veggiesare highest in that?

The urine is thick yellow, and not in the poop. Cecals are normal.Could it be a sign of sludge? If so should he see the vet immediately?What is the treatment?

Sludge would be thick and white (like toothpaste). Jace (andCheryl) is correct to say to watch his hydration, thick and yellow canindicate dehydration.

If his cecals are normal, poops are normal, not sure the other spot isrelated, either, but as already advised, best to watch for strainingand increase his water intake. (I use well-diluted carrotjuice or fruit juice). Check his bottom to make sure there'snothing coming out after he eliminates.

Don't worry about calcium content in veggies unless he is sludgy, I'mof the belief it's not a cause, although itcan aggravate andexisting situation, but forfuture reference,mustard greens, collards, kale, and I think spinach are high, dandeliongreens and English parsley are higher, too, but not the Italianparsley. Low calcium is lettuce, chard,bokchoy,cilantro, peppers... I think broccoli andcauliflower are in the middle, although brocoli leaves arehigh...A lot of it just depends on wheretheveggies were grown, one area may have higher calciumcontents thananother.

Check out the info here.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

Keep us updated!

sas

Could the darksmear be expressed...stuff ;) from the anal glands? Whenever I'vecleaned out the glands that's what color it is.

:yeahthat....good advice from Pipp and m.e.

Looks like it might be a hydration issue.

***Wonders if it's somehow related to the molt/shed issue***:ponder:

And, wanted to add that the pic was better than 1000 words !!!

Maybe weshould have a section with reference photos(from forum members), of common issues....so we can ask "Does it looklike this?" or "Which pic of poops does it most closely resemble?"

Ditto about keeping us updated, too!!!

~jim

Just wanted to thank everyone for your repliesand concern! Bunny man has grown back all of his hair and is all plushyagain. Looks like it was just a seasonal shedding. Also I haven't seenanymore of the sludgy stuff and have been making sure to give him a lotof fresh water. Thanks again.

Also.. funny.. bunnies are so pathetic, I was trying to make sure hewas hydrated that first day and syringe fed him water and it scared himso much touching his lips and stuff that he kept giving these big gaspslike uoohhh! poor little idiot.. lol. I felt so bad for him!

JimD wrote:
Maybe weshould have a section withreference photos (from forum members), of common issues....so we canask "Does it look like this?" or "Which pic of poops does it mostclosely resemble?"

jim, i think i would pay money to see the post that says "post yourphotos of bun's poop here!" with all the comments like "wow! yours arebig!" and "who made that one?". . .

sorry, that was simply the first thing that popped into my head. ..even though it would be a good idea. . . i think a lot of people wouldfind it helpfull!

Latest posts

Back