Bunny is having issues eating her cecotropes due to her cone

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gelliebean

Reaction score
The bunny I'm caring for right now has a deep and infected laceration on her leg so the vet sent us home with a cone. She's eating and drinking her food normally but she left a few cecotropes this morning, I assume she can't eat them straight from her bum.

How do I feed them back to her? In a syringe? Just with my hands?? And how new do the cecotropes need to be? If they're too old do I just have to throw them out?

You can just place them in front of her, no need to use a syringe; a syringe would make a mess and be a general waste. If they are fresh enough or not, your rabbit will decide. You do have to check her bum more often with the cone on as you may have to do some spot cleaning if she struggles to keep herself clean.
I used to care for my bun who had a far-gone knee abcess, he sometimes also left his cecos around while sometimes he managed to get them on his own. After it first happened, i started checking his bum for extra cecos couple of times per day. If i saw em, i would just pick em right up and place those in front of him and he ate them, no problems. If he didn't want them at that time, i would just discard those as i didn't want his limpy body mushing them into his fur.

Back