Bunny is acting strangely (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
Hey there.

This post isn't about Belle for a change. One of my other buns, Necro, is acting kind of weird. You know when a dog is playful, and he sticks his butt in the air? Well, Necro is doing that... except he's not playful, and when he does it, he's trying to balance himself. Like, he's trying not to fall on his face. I'm not really sure what's going on here. He's still eating and drinking and everything. Oh- if it helps, he's a Netherland Dwarf, he's neutered, and he's about 3.

Thanks guys. I always appreciate any input I get from RO.

As of now, all he wants to do is lay down. I think his bum actually hurts him. I don't think it's gas either. His stomach is pretty soft. He's still eating and drinking, so I have no idea what's going on, but I've made an appointment with the set so we can see what might be going on.

i agree with claire sometimes it does look like their off balance when they push their tummys against the floor from gas....if u have simethicone its not gonna hurt to try it...

I don't think it was gas...
Necro had a seizure earlier this evening, and we rushed him to the emergency vet. He's currently in ICU. His temp is really low right now, they're having a very hard time trying to warm him up and no one really knows what's going on yet. They tested his lactate (sorry if I spelled that wrong) and it was a ten, and the vet told me this was very concerning. We're not sure he's going to make it. I'll keep you guys updated.

Oh no, I am so sorry. I hope they can figure out what is going on. Has he had neurological issues before? High blood lactate can indicate that his tissues haven't been getting enough oxygen. I can't imagine why he would put his butt in the air for that though--normally if a bunny is having difficulty breathing, they elevate their head instead of their butt. Maybe something else was going on. A heart issue could also cause high lactate, but those aren't typically common in dwarves--they're more often seen in the giant breeds. It is possible that he could have a genetic heart defect that wasn't noticeable until now. Any toxic substances he may have gotten into? Is he a blue-eyed white? A chest x-ray may also help as for diagnostics to see if maybe there is something structurally wrong with his heart or lungs. As I am in the middle of a neurological illness ordeal with my heart bunny, I know this can be very tough. Try to take care of yourself so you can be there to help him and make decisions with a clear head. I'll be thinking of the best for him and you.

Necro hasn't had any serious issues, up until now anyway. He has Malocclusion, and he gets a poopy butt sometimes, but I've always taken him to the vet for that, which never resulted in anything bad.

I have no new information; I haven't gotten a call back, so I'm going to call them very soon.

Thanks for the well wishes, and I'll keep your bunny in my thoughts to.

[align=center]Oh my gosh, I started crying as I read this... I am so sorry for your loss... Binky free sweet Necro...

I am so sorry, Chandra. It sounds like you and the vet did everything you could for him. Binky free, Necro.

Latest posts

Back