Bunny introduction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theilian

Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, I adopted Cleo this morning from the shelter.

My question is, where should I put her cage? I live in a studioapartment and there's no place that Manny Jr. has not been to. Rightnow she's relegated to a balcony, and Cleo is in the room alone in hercage.

I want to allow Manny back inside (She's been out for two days, and shemust be thinking I'm mad at her or something), but if she sees Cleo inher kingdom, things might go bad. I could put Cleo in a bathroom andclose the door, but it would be totally dark.

Also how soon should I put them side by side (separated by cage)? Orshould I have them meet first inneutral ground(mycar)today?

Right now she's in the room alone

Welcome back theilian,

I'd bring Manny, Jr. in right away and keep them both in their samecages, but put them side-by-side. I'd let them out separately for thenext day or two and let them get used to each other through the wire.Perhaps after they get a sense of each other, then you can startworking on introducing them.

You might introduce them in the empty bathtub because it's mutualterritory and the idea is that one won't try to protect her domain.

Keep us posted, but I'd definitely bring in Manny, Jr. Keeping her outon the balcony isn't going to get anywhere near where you want them tobe.

-Carolyn

If you're lucky, it'll be love at first sightlike it was with my Chompers and Abby. If not, do what Carolyn said anduse your bathroom. Basically anyplace Manny Jr. doesn't go.

I have bonded a third rabbit into the fold, and now have two bucks anda doe. All three are very happy and cuddly and it's very enjoyable.

Actually, bathroom is Jr's favorite spot. ;)

Of course, she hasn't been inside the bathtub, but wouldn't she consider it her territory?

She might not consider the bathtub her"territory" if she doesn't recognize where she's at -- however, stilluse caution! I have seen many instances of rabbits attackingeach other in neutral territory.

Pam

I let Manny Jr. in, and well, I can say that they are not lesbians.

Manny Jr. first looked a bit scared. Shewent back to thebalcony right away, came in again, and then went out again. She finallycame in and hopped around the room everywhere but Cleo's cage. Mannywas particularly affectionate towarad me yesterday, following me aroundwherever I go. But when I go near Cleo's cage, she would not follow.Meanwhile, Cleo was very interested in the whole thing and stood beforethe cage door.

About ten minutes later, Manny Jr. approached cage and checked out Cleoputting noses together. They did this for few minutes, and finally themoment of truth. They suddenly tried to fight through the cage bars.And they keep doing it. From time to time, Cleo will hide inside herbox.

I placed the cages side by side. I put mesh grid in-between so that they can smell and see each othe but not try to fight.

What's the next move?

I just did a long post in another thread about bonding rabbits. Let me copy/paste it and PM it to you.

I've had good luck bonding rabbits and if it worked for me, it should work for you too. :)

Day Two

Round 1: I came home today to find that Manny Jr. and Cleo have beenengaged in pissing contest. Manny didn't use her litter box and peed onthe side adjacent to Cleo, and so did Cleo. Judging bytheamount, Manny clearly won.

Round 2: I put Manny Jr. and Cleo together inthe bathtub assuggested. Right away they went at each other. It wasn't a seriousfight, and only few clumps of fur were lying around. Judging by thefur, Cleo won hands down.

Round 3: Obviously bathtub won't do, so I took them to my car. ThereManny Jr. was so scared that she wouldn't even come out of her box.Cleo explored the car timidly, but everytime she went near Manny, shegrunted and gave loud thumps.

Round 4: Back in home. I knew I shouldn't, but I just had a gut feelingthat they won't fight. So let themboth out in the room.MannyJr. , boldened by her territory,approachedCleo. But Cleo was still mad at Manny andwould run away after grunting and thumping. Manny began to chase her,not to fight in my view but to be beside her. Cleo, the bigger girl,kept running away and thumping.

Day Three

This morning I put both back in bathtub. Manny lookedsubmissiveas shelowered her head and remained incrouched position for most of time. Cleo was still grunting andthumping whenever she got near Manny. After they jumped outofbathtub, role was reversed again as Manny chased Cleo. Cleokept running away from her and thumping. So far they never fought sincethe first encounter in the bathroom yesterday.

Sorry for long post, but I'd like to hear comments and interpretations.

I am not helpful in this case scenario, but mustadmit I find it very very informative and interesting, especially theway you have set up the Day1: Day 2: etc. It's making me want athird...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :p

Cher

Yes, I think Manny Jr. wants to make up to her,but Cleo is having littlerevenge. I guess the challenge hereis tohave Cleo warm up to Manny.

Is this going well or bad?

Day Four.

I'll never understand bunnies. Last time it looked like Manny Jr. was conciliatory, but Cleo wouldn't stand her.

Yesterday evening I put both Manny Jr. and Cleo in the bathtub. Thistime, Cleo didn't gruant and thump as much and put her head below Mannyas if she was craving her attention. But this time, it was Manny Jr.who was not in the mood. Rather she tried to mountCleo forthe first time. Cleo wasn't for it, and the chase ensued. Manny nibbled2 to 3 clumps of fur in the process.

As I returned Cleo to her cage, I was distracted and in the meantime,Manny again chased her and again took away few clumps from Cleo.

I guess this is going backward, right?

Latest posts

Back