bunny hiccups?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danniela_h

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I have this situation, does anyone know what might be?
Starts about 8 hours ago, the vet says if persists more than 3 days, I should go to x-ray...
Thank you!
Here's a link to the video:
http://videobam.com/jDFoR

Has it been continuing for those whole 8 hours? It's hard to tell for sure from that video, but it looks to me like your rabbit may be having difficulty breathing. If so, you do not want to wait 3 days. You need to get your rabbit to the vet today and have the lungs checked and get xrays done.

Is your rabbit still eating and drinking ok?

Yes, she eats, act and drinks normally. I was to the vet and he told me to wait for 3 days and if didn't stop to get the x-ray.
That only stops for about 10 minuts and then started again.

My bunny Nora had a small hiccup spree before. I thought it was so odd & I was scared, but it only lasted maybe three minutes. I kept an eye on her and she's never done it again. Nora's sounded close to human hiccups, your rabbit sounds more raspy to me. Does she rabbit have anything dusty around her she could be breathing in? Is she as active as usual?

No, nothing dusty. She sometimes makes a noise, but most of the times she doesn't.( maybe you heard my baby boy in the movie).
Yes, she acts normal. This morning I took her to clean her legs and she struggled a bit, after that the hiccups begins...
I put another movie.
Thank you for your replies.
http://videobam.com/ABhDS

If it is just the hiccups and not related to her breathing at all, usually it is nothing to worry about. It's just one of those things that happens occasionally. But if it is occurring excessively, sometimes this can be related to slow gastrointestinal motility, as food isn't moving through their GI tract normally, and starts to back up a bit(which isn't good). Have you noticed any changes in her fecal poop? Has it gotten any smaller in size, darker, and harder? Is she getting a poopy butt at all?

No changes in fecals or pee, everything's like before.
The only change is that she eats less pellets( and she loves them), that's all.
I think I'll go to x-rays today.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like anything is too dangerous or worrisome but I'm glad you're being safe and getting some x-rays done. Hopefully it's just some bouts she's been having and nothing serious :pray:

She finnaly stopped, thanks God! After 3 days, that hiccup (or what it was) stopped. I gave her Simethicone ( as in babies cramps), maybe that helped.
Let's hope it doesn't start again.

Latest posts

Back