Bunny help -- Not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a first time bunny owner and I've had my bunny for over six months.

dscf2385640.jpg

For the past about two to three days she hasn't eaten any of herpellets. She's got a clean cage, water, fresh hay, and her full bowl ofpellets. The only thing she's been eating are the veggies I give her.Her poops are pretty small and there aren't nearly as many of them.Last month she had fleas pretty bad but those are taken care of now.The hair on her chest/neck area below her head is kind of raddy whichwould indicate she isn't feeling well--correct?

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions or know what could be wrong?

Thanks!
Jake:bunnydance:

She could have an intestinal blockage. If you'rein the US or Canada, I'd suggest getting some Nutrical and feeding therabbit that. Also, canned pumpkin, papaya, pineaple. All of these willget her insides moving. Encourage lots of running around and make sureshe keeps eating and drinking, especially hay.

I suggest getting her to a vet rightaway. She could have caught something really nasty from thefleas, and they can get a lot sicker very quickly. (Whatcountry are you in?).

Was a vet involved in the flea control? Could she be having areaction to the flea meds? Could she have other parasites, likeflystrike? Check for sores, scabs, etc. Are hereyes or nose runny? Take note of these things for the vetvisit.

Whatever it is, there's no way of knowing for sure without a vet'sdiagnosis, otherwise you're only treating the symptoms, not thecause.

Hope she's okay. Good luck.

Thank you all for replying.

Radar--we're in the US located in the Bay Area of CA. There was no vetinvolved in the flea treatment--all we used was a flea comb.

We thought the fleas were gone but today we discovered quite a bit moreon her underside. We should've done a more thorough checkover :/. Wetook care of a lot of the fleas today and I will be flea combing herdaily. She seems to like being combed also :). Her food bowl is stillfull but she's taking care of her veggies and hay. She's still peeingquite a bit so I know she's drinking water.

Has anyone had any experience with Advantage brand flea medicine on bunnies?

Would anyone also have any suggestions to help with anemia?

We'll be looking for a rabbit-educated vet.

Thanks!

bluscuroforesta wrote:
Thank you all for replying.

Radar--we're in the US located in the Bay Area of CA. There was no vetinvolved in the flea treatment--all we used was a flea comb.

We thought the fleas were gone but today we discovered quite a bit moreon her underside. We should've done a more thorough checkover :/. Wetook care of a lot of the fleas today and I will be flea combing herdaily. She seems to like being combed also :). Her food bowl is stillfull but she's taking care of her veggies and hay. She's still peeingquite a bit so I know she's drinking water.

Has anyone had any experience with Advantage brand flea medicine on bunnies?

Would anyone also have any suggestions to help with anemia?

We'll be looking for a rabbit-educated vet.

Thanks!
I do believe advantage is not safe for use on rabbits, however you canuse kitten flea powder to help get rid of those nasty guys in additionwith the combing.

as far as the anemia...i have to ask why?..just because i dont knowyour bun's history..what reasons do you think your rabbit isanemic?? or was this told by a previous vet?

as far as finding a rabbit savvy vet, i would first recommend seeningif any members here are in your area and what vet they use (so you canget a first hand opinion)..and then if you check out this webpage andscroll to the bottom, click on your appropriate area to find a vethttp://www.rabbit.org/care/vets.htmlalsoif you check out this page there is a list of questions to ask the vethttp://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

Hope everything turns out well!! :)

Freddysmom-- thank you for the links! Afterlooking at the list I found out that the animal hospital we take ourdogs and cats to has a vet that specializes in bunnies :).

We got her from animal control, who said that she was about two yearsat the time. She was found in a park pregnant but had to have ac-section and the babies were dead. So, I'm pretty sure she is overtwo...

On this website: http://www.allearssac.org/fleas.html it says thatAdvantage is tested on bunnies and is safe for them. It sounds likeflea powder might be better.

Thanks again!

I've never had the problem with rabbits but whenmy guinea pig had fleas i used a spray from the pet shop which you puton then combed off which worked pretty well. It said it wasable to be used on any small animals and it didn't stress the animalout too much. I'd keep a close eye on her health as fleascarry lots of diseases. Make sure she is vaccinated againstmyxomatosisif the disease is endemic to your area as this isspread by fleas.

Make sure she is vaccinated againstmyxomatosis if the disease is endemic to your area as this is spread byfleas.
Wow it is true that you learn something new everyday:) Ihad no clue that Myxomatosis was spread by fleas. *Knock on wood* Myrabbits havnt gotten the little buggers from the cat. As they areinside babies but I will definatly keep in mind what I have learnedfrom here.

Hello all! I apologize for not replying for solong. We went on vacation and left her and the animals in good hands.She is doing much better now. We gave her Advantage topical flea stuffwhich appeared to work. She is eating now and her poops are muchnormal-sized. She has a lot more energy.

AmberNBuns-- her name is Eventide :) (old english for evening, sinceshe is very dark). I usually just call her "Bunny", though since itseems to suit her much more ;)

:)Jake..since this is your 1st bunny I would suggest that you read everything you can about the care of rabbits and also ask questions from people like us. I'm glad that your bunny is OK but if it were me I would take him to a vet anyway just for a general check-up. Rabbits are so very interesting and so much more complicated than most people know. It took me years to learn about bunnies and I'm still learning. There are so many medications and treatments that are safe for other animals but dangerous for bunnies. You might want to read on the National House Rabbit Society site as they have a lot of good info. If a rabbit does not eat for more than 24 hours he or she can get liver damage and die. If a rabbit doesn't eat it is a big emergency and you should never wait a day or two to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back